Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA
College: Capital Community College

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
If you tell college professors they will not believe so. For example, before I even heard the word "actuary" or "actuarial science," the undergraduate math, statistics, or financial math or quantitative programs would require to take mathematical statistics. That's a course with a minimum prerequisite of Calculus III (some colleges may require Calculus II if they only have two Calculus levels).

In order to take the first exam P, professors would require students to complete at least one semester of upper level mathematical statistics (for juniors and seniors) at minimum.

Basic algebra and basic calculus are for high school students. I do not think that's sufficient for any actuarial exam. At least you cannot pass STAM or C with just basic stuff.
And yet, here I am.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
Excuse me?
Look at my SAT Math score. My SAT scores were so low I had to attend community college. I never even took calculus. My formal math education went up to Trigonometry.

And yet, look where I'm at. I never struggled with a single Actuarial Exam and passed all of them with scores of 8+.

I just disproved the myth that actuaries are good at math.
Yeah, I've seen your previous posts. You mention your low IQ/SAT score every chance you get. You also mentioned failing MLC/LTAM 3 times with a 0 and then finally passing with an 8 only after using CA (which you also bring up every chance you get). In the unlikely event that that's true, then I hardly consider that having "never struggled with a single Actuarial Exam."

Although you don't need a formal math background to pass these exams, there's no question that these exams are difficult and require thrifty math skills. You are not believable.

Last edited by Moderator1; 01-21-2019 at 11:46 PM..
Old 01-21-2019, 11:40 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbite1337 View Post
Yeah, I've seen your previous posts. You mention your low IQ/SAT score every chance you get. You also mentioned failing MLC/LTAM 3 times with a 0 and then finally passing with an 8 only after using CA (which you also bring up every chance you get). In the unlikely event that that's true, then I hardly consider that having "never struggled with a single Actuarial Exam."

Although you don't need a formal math background to pass these exams, there's no question that these exams are difficult and require thrifty math skills. You are not believable.
I passed more exams than you.

There is no "math skills" needed to pass. All you need to do is memorize the entire formula sheet.

Last edited by Moderator1; 01-21-2019 at 11:46 PM..
Old 01-22-2019, 12:00 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

Here's an article about the benefits of memorization: https://www.bestvalueschools.org/ben...school-beyond/

Quote:
Memorization exercises your brain
Memorization improves neuroplasticity
Memorization is important for creativity
Memorization teaches the brain to remember
Memorization enhances your capacity for future learning.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:02 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSmart View Post
I passed more exams than you.

There is no "math skills" needed to pass. All you need to do is memorize the entire formula sheet.
Your account was created less than a month ago and 90% of your posts have been inflammatory. You are a troll.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:12 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

I'm done with this discussion.

I don't like talking to trolls.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

I'm very slow with jokes, so I might have missed what you're trying to say.

I have a very low IQ, so maybe it would help if you be less subtle with me.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 AM
SOA

College: Bentley University (Class of 2019ish)

Alright, while this "NotSmart" person, has given me a few laughs, I feel the need to say that he's obviously a troll and y'all need to stop interacting with him. You can't argue with this type of troll. I do like to laugh, but I'd rather use this thread specifically to prepare myself for LTAM. So if y'all could stop trying to tell the troll off and comparing dick sizes, me and the rest of the lurkers would appreciate it.

Former Disney World Cast Member, currently no idea what I'm doing

"I think you should refrain from quoting yourself. It sounds pompous." - SweepingRocks
Old 01-22-2019, 09:07 AM
SOA

I've seen that TIA has a flashcards app, has anyone used it or anything else like it? I think it sounds like it would be really helpful; however I am not using TIA this sitting.

Anyone at TIA reading this? Would you consider offering the flashcards app as a stand alone purchase?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:31 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicjello View Post
I've seen that TIA has a flashcards app, has anyone used it or anything else like it? I think it sounds like it would be really helpful; however I am not using TIA this sitting.

Anyone at TIA reading this? Would you consider offering the flashcards app as a stand alone purchase?
TIA flashcards are very useful for helping you memorize formulas and definitions.

I definitely would recommend it