Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-06-2019, 02:52 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Wtf. I'm shocked that that many companies do it. This is the stupidest shit ever. What about any potential bias like racial and stuff from the hr person affecting the outcome?
It’s become hard to prove points of racial bias through one way interviews cause everyone gets asked the same questions.... it better for be companies end cause of lower chance of lawsuit
Old 02-06-2019, 03:03 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
do you people realize how many companies do this today? Tossing out an interivew (at the EL level) just cause they make you do a webcam interview is NOT good advice. Beggars can't be choosers.

IME, all but 2 milliman practice (sample size = 8), Humana, WTW, Allstate (kinda... recorded on the phone), and Munich Re all had me do a video interview.

These are all good companies that could go far on one's resume as an EL, and it'd be foolish to discredit these companies on the basis of their hiring practices.
A webcam interview with a live person is one thing. I wouldn't be a big fan, but that's reasonable. That's not what this sounds like. This is an automated system feeding you questions and recording your answers for someone to review later.

How a company treats interviewees speaks volumes about how that company views its employees. This company is telling you that you're not important enough to justify a 30 minute phone call.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_alt View Post
A webcam interview with a live person is one thing. I wouldn't be a big fan, but that's reasonable. That's not what this sounds like. This is an automated system feeding you questions and recording your answers for someone to review later.

How a company treats interviewees speaks volumes about how that company views its employees. This company is telling you that you're not important enough to justify a 30 minute phone call.
I meant one way video interviews
Old 02-06-2019, 03:24 PM
SOA

I applied for a non-entry level job recently that used that for a fairly prestigious company after going through several other interview process such as Excel test, analytical test, and phone screen with HR. Then the company rejected me without stating a reason after the HireVue interview.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:39 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_alt View Post

If you're entry level, I understand you can't be too picky. But if you already have an actuarial job, I'd cancel the interview. I wouldn't want to work for a company that valued HR's time more than my own.
You're right that HireVue is a replacement for a phone interview with HR but it's not in the way you think.

Here are some job-hunting scenarios with various hiring strategies.

Scenario 1: Resume is rejected because the criteria specified by the hiring actuarial manager has to be strict to limit the number of phone interviews to a level commensurate with HR staffing.

Scenario 2: Phone interview with an HR representative, who has enough time allocated to call anyone who meets the criteria specified by the hiring actuarial manager.

Scenario 3: HireVue interview that the hiring actuarial manager her/himself will get to look at on their own time because "their time is more valuable than yours."

HireVue gives you a better path to make it past the resume screen and likely gets you closer to the hiring manager quicker.

Also note, the people that work in HR are their current employees. So the fact the company may value that person's time is actually in their favor. Your insinuation that your time is more valuable than theirs reminds me of the well-worn story of the candidate who treats the reception staff and admins like crap.

Last edited by Kalani Sitake; 02-06-2019 at 06:01 PM..