Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-20-2016, 04:10 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big ole nasty fish View Post
I'm not talking about a theoretical world where there are no insurers-- I'm talking about right now if I went to the doctor they would charge me less if I paid all cash versus having my insurer, UHC, pay.
No.
Too many other people that have to be paid. Could fall in love with some doctor who might come treat you at home for your flu-like symptoms. In a few months, you might have sex with her, assuming normal actuarial progress.

What you propose is pretty interesting. Perhaps people with troubling symptoms could log into a "Dr Craig's List," negotiate a price among several willing local providers for doctor's visit and tests, or an ER/Urgent care visit, or even cancer treatments.
The last one would be expensive regardless, and your insurer, which would pay for most of it, might already want to do that, with your approval.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:12 PM
SOA AAA

Until Dr Craig's List is available (trademark pending), try these techniques to lower your bills:
http://www.clearpoint.org/blog/how-t...eceive-a-bill/
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:13 PM
SOA AAA

Quick note: don't use regular Craig's List:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/pol...oman/113034927
Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman View Post
How much discount do you think you can get for paying cash? (and versus the discount you get from insurance company).
Hundreds of dollars cheaper. Again, this is anecdotal based on a few of my own experiences.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO Fan View Post

Regulations require rate reductions in most states if claims are low. ACA's MLR forces refunds for low loss ratios.
And If aca is repealed? Are there other regulations involved here?
Old 12-20-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Your words.
Fair enough. This is why I come to health forum to vet ideas before quitting my full time job
Old 12-20-2016, 04:42 PM
SOA

This thread on teambrella is relevant to the OP http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=307959

Might be the one JMO was thinking of
Trump's biggest weakness is that he utterly lacks the knowledge, experience, interest, attention span, temperament, and common decency to be the marginally effective President of a reasonably-large HOA.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Does this matter if you are paying cash? Often providers will give discounts for cash, right?
I know of one provider whi did this. In the 1980s. Now they just tell you to bring your copay and deductible with you to your appointment.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:30 AM
SOA

Quote:
Win-win. Win.
RN
Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 AM
CAS

Quote:
Insurance is an antiquated and bureaucratic industry with an inherent conflict of interest at its core where companies make more money if they deny more claims.

With the current technology available, couldn't there be a simpler alternative to health insurance where families, friends, or other associations connect via some kind of mobile app to insure one another without all of the bureaucracy? Wouldn't this ultimately be much simpler and less costly then the current insurance business model?

I am very interested to hear your thoughts as to why or why not this is/isn't a good idea, or why it may/may not be possible under the current regulatory regime and if the ACA is repealed.

Thanks
Something like this, Boniface?
https://mychristiancare.org/medi-share/