Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:57 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder
Default (The Actuary magazine) Commercial health care - what's next? (ACA/AHCA)

A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to be asked by Dave Dillon to join a great group of health actuaries in a work group where we would focus on some of the more important aspects of the ACA (Obamacare) and the AHCA (Trumpcare).

I'm pleased to say that our efforts are now "live" (and will continue with articles over the next few months):

http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/ca...re-whats-next/

The articles are intended to be at the audience of a general actuary (so if you're an ACA expert, they may be considered light reading with some excitement thrown in).

Enjoy!
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-12-2017, 01:59 PM
SOA AAA

I'm also excited that Hans Leida, Erica Rode, T.J. Gray and I have the first article out of the chute, on the impact of demographic pricing restrictions on commercial health care markets:

http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/th...the-beautiful/

The title ("The Old and the Beautiful") is a callback to a 2011 article that Mary van der Heijde and I wrote on a similar topic, "The Young are the Restless".

Hopefully you find it interesting.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-12-2017, 04:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
A few months ago, I was fortunate enough to be asked by Dave Dillon to join a great group of health actuaries in a work group where we would focus on some of the more important aspects of the ACA (Obamacare) and the AHCA (Trumpcare).

I'm pleased to say that our efforts are now "live" (and will continue with articles over the next few months):

http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/ca...re-whats-next/

The articles are intended to be at the audience of a general actuary (so if you're an ACA expert, they may be considered light reading with some excitement thrown in).

Enjoy!

I'll echo the good doctor's recommendation, and also add that those who are monitoring the issues closely should also follow Dave's LinkedIn activity for updates and perspective on the current hot topics.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM
SOA

Quote:
I'm also excited that Hans Leida, Erica Rode, T.J. Gray and I have the first article out of the chute, on the impact of demographic pricing restrictions on commercial health care markets:

http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/th...the-beautiful/

The title ("The Old and the Beautiful") is a callback to a 2011 article that Mary van der Heijde and I wrote on a similar topic, "The Young are the Restless".

Hopefully you find it interesting.
Maybe it's just me, but Figures 1-3 aren't displaying
Old 06-12-2017, 05:26 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
Maybe it's just me, but Figures 1-3 aren't displaying
Looks like they're going the "interactive graphics" route, and seems it may be javascript

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-12-2017, 05:48 PM
SOA AAA

I bet MPC's right (although I haven't looked under the hood to verify JS specifically).

The graphs are interactive (and pretty neat, I think).
Old 09-11-2017, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Two more articles in the series - one while I was out on leave, and one this past few days:

Liz Leif and Cecil Bykerk look at high risk pools as a potential solution:
http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/ne...igh-risk-pool/

Trey Swacker looks at how healthcare reform could impact small employers:
http://www.theactuarymagazine.org/en...r-health-care/
Old 09-12-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I bet MPC's right (although I haven't looked under the hood to verify JS specifically).

The graphs are interactive (and pretty neat, I think).
There's plenty of JS/Jquery there. Being a novice, I'm actually finding it hard to dig up the code for the graphs themselves (there are a lot of links to dig through), but since the page is bringing in both d3 and c3, we'd be safe putting money on them being the driving force behind the charts & graphs.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.

Last edited by Locrian; 09-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: to add links
Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Awaiting the sequels: "General Hospital Charges," "Days of our Life Tables," ...
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:35 PM

All my elderly
As the claim turns
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.