Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Stephen Camilli's Avatar
Stephen Camilli Stephen Camilli is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Hyde Park, NY
College: Brown University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale
Posts: 84
Default Can actuaries help solve the opioid crisis?

I was quite intrigued by this article in the March SOA health section newsletter on the opioid crisis, a public health issue that has weighed heavily on my mind and heart:

http://healthwatch.soa.org/?issueID=3&pageID=23

Based on this article, it seems that we, as a profession could do more to contribute to the solution of this crisis, working together with appropriate groups and individuals, perhaps through building models to identify high-risk individuals, high-risk prescribers, identify effective alternative treatments, etc.

I am far outside my personal area of expertise, but would love to see more actuaries get involved in thinking about solutions to the current crisis.
__________________
Stephen Camilli, FSA | President ACTEX Learning | Mad River Books

Click to view our Actuarial eLearning Offerings:
Webinars | Exam Prep | VEE Courses
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 88,145
Default

Fixed!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...707-story.html

I think (with no reason) actuaries were behind this. So, you're welcome!
__________________
DTNF's Basic Philosophy Regarding Posting: There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling! -- Jeff Albertson (CBG)
DTNF's Trademarked Standard Career Advice: "pass some exams and get back to us."
DTNF's Major advice: "Doesn't matter. Choose major that helps you with goal of Career Advice."
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2017, 12:49 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 88,145
Default

Interesting section of that article:

Quote:
The study also found a continued increase in long-term prescribing of opioids. The average length of prescriptions rose steadily from about 13 in 2006 to about 18 in 2015, the data show.
"13" what? It is some length, but they don't say if it's days, weeks, months.

Perhaps there is some way to wean people off dosages. Instead of a bottle of same-strength pills, maybe they should be packaged sequentially, like birth control?
__________________
DTNF's Basic Philosophy Regarding Posting: There's no emoticon for what I'm feeling! -- Jeff Albertson (CBG)
DTNF's Trademarked Standard Career Advice: "pass some exams and get back to us."
DTNF's Major advice: "Doesn't matter. Choose major that helps you with goal of Career Advice."
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Interesting section of that article:


"13" what? It is some length, but they don't say if it's days, weeks, months.

Perhaps there is some way to wean people off dosages. Instead of a bottle of same-strength pills, maybe they should be packaged sequentially, like birth control?
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...-high-cdc-says

Zap 'em for 13 days, it says here. Or 18 days.
Other statistics at the link.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-10-2017, 12:01 AM
FormLetter's Avatar
FormLetter FormLetter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 48,498
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Interesting section of that article:


"13" what? It is some length, but they don't say if it's days, weeks, months.

Perhaps there is some way to wean people off dosages. Instead of a bottle of same-strength pills, maybe they should be packaged sequentially, like birth control?
WRT bolded, underlined part: That is actually what a pain doctor will do if a patient violates their patient-doctor prescribing contract and gets cut from their prescription.

Say they are prescribed 20mg. They will get a taper pack with a few days of 15mg, a few of 10mg, a few of 7.5mg, some 5 mg, and then empty cells after that.
__________________
Come join the AO Rap Battle Tournament 2013:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...33#post7082433
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-10-2017, 09:08 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 36,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormLetter View Post
WRT bolded, underlined part: That is actually what a pain doctor will do if a patient violates their patient-doctor prescribing contract and gets cut from their prescription.

Say they are prescribed 20mg. They will get a taper pack with a few days of 15mg, a few of 10mg, a few of 7.5mg, some 5 mg, and then empty cells after that.
Seems like too little to late. It the patient has already acted badly, why wouldn't they just rip open all the cells to get the dose they want??
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Oct 13, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Marcie's Avatar
Marcie Marcie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Interesting section of that article:


"13" what? It is some length, but they don't say if it's days, weeks, months.
My opioid prescription was in danger of being crushed by a dwarf!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2017, 11:51 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Camilli View Post
I was quite intrigued by this article in the March SOA health section newsletter on the opioid crisis, a public health issue that has weighed heavily on my mind and heart:

http://healthwatch.soa.org/?issueID=3&pageID=23

Based on this article, it seems that we, as a profession could do more to contribute to the solution of this crisis, working together with appropriate groups and individuals, perhaps through building models to identify high-risk individuals, high-risk prescribers, identify effective alternative treatments, etc.

I am far outside my personal area of expertise, but would love to see more actuaries get involved in thinking about solutions to the current crisis.

Great to bring this up. It's amazing to me that they would write this article and not think of ways to solve the issue with their plethora of skills. Actuaries are the MOST trained public health professionals and are in best position to make a difference but they are satisfied sitting on the sideline and reporting the problems. I congratulate you personally for this excellent observation and post-probably the best one I've ever come across...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Woodrow's Avatar
Woodrow Woodrow is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 5,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingon1 View Post
Great to bring this up. It's amazing to me that they would write this article and not think of ways to solve the issue with their plethora of skills. Actuaries are the MOST trained public health professionals and are in best position to make a difference
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I have quite a few friends who work in public health, some have public health PhDs or biostatistics PhDs, others just have lots of experience in their field, working at the CDC or university schools of public health.

I think actuaries could bring something different to the table, but I don't see how we are the most trained.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 502
Default

Seems you have a lot of friends...

You have as much training as your friends, and they are all contributing to solving this problem. What are actuaries doing, reporting their works?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.45891 seconds with 9 queries