Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-10-2017, 06:12 PM
SOA

College: bj

So what exactly is your specialty-you can't solve the public health problems (the biostats and your other friends' jobs). There are many people working on policy for new health care proposals, you can't do that because the med economists' jobs. You can't do data science because it's their job. What job do you do?

From reading few things, I sometimes get the feeling you guys want to do all the above with some slight edge (like we are risk experts etc and we can do better). Is that what you really are? Because this problem should have been tackled by actuaries without a call from the OP.

And you claim maybe you set premiums-all you did was discover that the premiums are too high in obamacare and caused your companies to run out of the business. What did you do to propose solutions? Pay millions to milliman like the blind leading the blind.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:43 PM
CAS

Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 PM
SOA AAA

I've been a part of most of those ideas in the OP.

But, we can't tell hospitals and physicians to stop charging so damn much.
We can't tell hospitals and physicians to stop treating nearly dead patients.
We can't tell hospitals and physicians to stop using/prescribing the most expensive drugs and to stop buying the latest fancy equipment.

'cause, those are the problems.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:16 PM
CAS

If health insurers would stop cutting reimbursement rates then doctors wouldn't have to run so many procedures to keep food on the table for their families.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I've been a part of most of those ideas in the OP.

But, we can't tell hospitals and physicians to stop charging so damn much.
We can't tell hospitals and physicians to stop treating nearly dead patients.
We can't tell hospitals and physicians to stop using/prescribing the most expensive drugs and to stop buying the latest fancy equipment.

'cause, those are the problems.
NO you can't but you come up with convincing analysis that demonstrates the issue that will force the change.

Eventually, they WILL have to stop these things and they will. The problem will be solved, whether by actuaries or whomever.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:22 PM
SOA AAA

Analysis has already been done. You think those are conjectures?
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:07 PM
CAS

Public analysis?
Old 07-11-2017, 01:33 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Analysis has already been done. You think those are conjectures?
Done?? Nothing is done, the problems are persisting. There is lots more room for analysis. Actuaries have so many opportunities to step in and solve these problems, before the others do.

The last real work by a health actuary, as far as I can see, was Bluhm's stuff---which was in the 1980's NOTHING has come since (which is still important analysis). The disease management was all blown air and didn't amount to anything. And the rest was conjectures about the ACA and our health system. But no real solutions.

I am saying we need someone to tackle the problems we have and devout actuarial talent on that. This OP's call is so important which is why I was shocked and amazed to see this today.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:39 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redearedslider View Post
Public analysis?
what do you mean public analysis...
Old 07-11-2017, 04:14 AM
CAS

Publicly available analyses that support the conclusions DTNF posted. DTNF said the analysis has been done so I want to know where it is so I can read it.