Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Default Exam IFM Needed This Summer?

I am wondering what advice those of you in the industry already have. I have an actuarial internship in New York City that I will be working this summer, and I have two exams under my belt. I will be graduating in a year. I am wondering whether or not I should spend this summer working hard on IFM and taking it in July (I haven't started studying yet) or if I am fine with two exams and taking IFM in November? I figure it will be difficult to be ready for in time given my full-time work schedule and desire to explore NYC. However, it would be nice to get the third exam out of the way. What do you all recommend, and how does it affect my entry-level job opportunities in either direction?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM
College: Central Michigan University Alumni
Favorite beer: Two-Hearted Ale

I'm only an EL employee, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I would focus on doing well in the internship and enjoying your time rather than grinding out another exam. Not sure what your scores have been thus far but you'd also be more likely to pass, right? However, I'm not sure what the difference would be in your candidacy between having "Passed Exam IFM July 2019" or "Sitting for Exam IFM November 2019" on your resume.

I assume that if you elect not to take the exam, you could maybe beef up your resume in other ways such as learning new technical skills or taking on more at the internship to create more value as an employee. I'd imagine that if you were to get an interview, speaking to what you've done there would have more of an impact than having passed the third exam. But again, what do I know? I had two exams, no internship and got hired a month or two after I graduated
Old 05-16-2019, 05:02 PM
SOA

Studying for LFV-C
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspringactuaryvp View Post
I am wondering what advice those of you in the industry already have. I have an actuarial internship in New York City that I will be working this summer, and I have two exams under my belt. I will be graduating in a year. I am wondering whether or not I should spend this summer working hard on IFM and taking it in July (I haven't started studying yet) or if I am fine with two exams and taking IFM in November? I figure it will be difficult to be ready for in time given my full-time work schedule and desire to explore NYC. However, it would be nice to get the third exam out of the way. What do you all recommend, and how does it affect my entry-level job opportunities in either direction?
Take the exam in November. IFM is harder than P and FM, so make sure you put in more hours than you did for the first two exams.

Try to do well at your internship so that they give you a full-time offer for when you graduate.

Even if your internship doesn't lead to a full-time offer, with two exams and an internship you won't have any trouble getting interviews.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
IFM is harder than P and FM, so make sure you put in more hours than you did for the first two exams.
Given this comment and the statement you haven't started yet, seems like you wouldn't have great odds to pass?

Also, I wouldn't make a final decision until you start the internship. Sometimes companies have a lot going on (actual work, or research projects, or just company outings) - other times the interns don't have a lot to do. If you start the job and then find you're working all morning, then spending the afternoon looking for something to do, maybe take the exam.

Also would consider the personal side: If you're planning to end up in NY, then what's the big deal for doing stuff this summer. If you're graduating from Illinois State and planning to get a EL job at State Farm, live the rest of your life in Springfield - maybe you need to take advantage here.

Just stuff to consider. I would not take the exam this summer.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:43 PM
CAS

I would take advantage of being in NYC and explore the city as much as you can outside of work hours. For all you know, one of your first full-time gigs might be in the po' where there is nothing much going on and you'll have plenty of time to study.

Exploring a famous city like NYC while you're young may give you some valuable life experience which could come in handy later in your career. If you have any level of fitness, I would recommend signing up for Citibike (about $180 for the year) to explore by bicycle.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Thanks for the advice. It seems it would be better to not take IFM at this time given I have the rest of my career to take exams.