Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-15-2003, 04:19 PM

Default tips for doorman and building peeps

so.i get a christmas card over the weekend from my apt building stafff....i have 4 doorman, 2 porters, a super and handy man. i live in ny on the upper east side..its my first year living in nyc...what is a fair amount to give these guys...do you give the same amt to all...how do you actually give it..track down each one of these guys? give one envelope to the main doorman and have him disburse it.?..any insights you guys have would be appreciated...thanks
Old 12-15-2003, 04:59 PM

Default Re: tips for doorman and building peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. eigen vector
so.i get a christmas card over the weekend from my apt building stafff....i have 4 doorman, 2 porters, a super and handy man. i live in ny on the upper east side..its my first year living in nyc...what is a fair amount to give these guys...do you give the same amt to all...how do you actually give it..track down each one of these guys? give one envelope to the main doorman and have him disburse it.?..any insights you guys have would be appreciated...thanks
It depends on the building, how the management or people do it usually. In my building we have a holiday gift box. My ex-boyfriend's fancy Lincoln Center building didn't do that so he gives each one at a time and plan it out so he won't mix up who and how much. In terms of how much it's really up to you. I need like $2000 to pay for my books and fees for the exams next year before my company reimburses, just a hint.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:13 PM

If I'm going to peep, I'd rather peep on the receptionist, not the doorman.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:13 PM

Whew! Did that typo escape safely?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:16 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have 4 deskmen, 2 supers and 2 assistants, too. (Also in NYC.) I give about $400 total in cash to them, split according to how much I like each of them. Usually $40 for a full-time men unless he's a lazy bum; then $20, or $30 if I need him to be friendly to me, but up to $60 for the really helpful guys. It's nice if there's a gift box, but otherwise just hand a stack of cards to the main deskman.

Make sure you keep track of how much you give each person each year. It's nice to grade it upwards over time (but start newbies off at a lower level). Also remember which type of card you gave each guy, so you don't give the same guy the same card repeatedly.

In the card, be sure to sign it with your apartment number, like "Phil Sugar, Apt. 8F". That way the people know who you are, so they can give you thank you cards and be extra nice to you for the next year.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:36 PM

its weird..i just moved into the building about 3 weeks ago..so i dotn even know these guys names or who half of them even are. i figure i still have to give something though to ensure good service for the rest of the year...kind of wishing now that i lived in a building without doormen
Old 12-15-2003, 07:54 PM

yeah really. this all just sounds like one big hassle.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Oaked Arrogant *******

I don't live in a big city like NY. What exactly does a doorman do? Open the door for you? Are you allowed to open the door yourself, or are they the only ones who can touch it? And how can they give bad service? Will they refuse to open the door for you if you're cheap and don't give them a nice Christmas tip? I know I sound like I'm just being my normal smartass self, but I really don't know the answers to these questions.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:11 PM
glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedBee
I don't live in a big city like NY. What exactly does a doorman do? Open the door for you? Are you allowed to open the door yourself, or are they the only ones who can touch it? And how can they give bad service? Will they refuse to open the door for you if you're cheap and don't give them a nice Christmas tip? I know I sound like I'm just being my normal smartass self, but I really don't know the answers to these questions.
No, no. There's other people here with the same questions.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubedBee
No, no. There's other people here with the same questions.
That's funny. It's true, sometimes I wonder why they are there. However, being a woman I'd like to have someone looking out of the lobby even before I get into the building, just in case someone lurking in the dark might tackle me and run with my purse before I get inside. This actually has happened in the past, not to me but someone right outside the building just got mugged and I saw people running to the doorman and they called 911 and the police came and all that. Another things about the doorman is that you can always order things and they'll receive them for you, instead of having to go to the post office or something. Or to have your friends drop off the book they borrowed, the dress and the shoe and the dry clean and the grocery, the list goes on and on. Hopefully also people can't just go inside your building, the doorman has to recognize them. Whether that's really working that way or not distinguishes how good the doorman is. I've had doormen who are very nice to me and would give me Christmas cards, and some a$$'s who I rather fire because I was on the condominium board, so the bosses that hire them.

Does that answer the questions?