Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 02-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Just finished "Strangers on a Train" by Highsmith. It was meh. For a psychological "thriller" it was kinda slow and boring. It was an interesting concept though, so I'm kinda curious to see the Hitchcock movie about it.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:48 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Student View Post
Just finished "Strangers on a Train" by Highsmith. It was meh. For a psychological "thriller" it was kinda slow and boring. It was an interesting concept though, so I'm kinda curious to see the Hitchcock movie about it.
I got about halfway through and then ditched the book (the slow and boring thing). I bet the movie is a lot better.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM
CAS

Studying for Retirement
Favorite beer: On Your Tab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Spoiler:
an intriguing idea, and while not a big fan of the tearing of fabric of time concept, more bothered by the succession of presidents, as they were virtually unchanged.

and there is an ebb and flow that would have been interrupted. Johnson forced through things I don't believe JFK would have accomplished. Without Nixon you don't get Carter, but without Carter I don't see the popularity of Reagan. Even without the civil rights movement with all its problems playing out as it did, I wouldn't be surprised if Clinton went another way.

Details aside, assuming the presidential succession remains unchanged is impossible and somewhat lazy
Spoiler:
I don't remember the succession of presidents thing. I remember that America became a hell-hole because the protagonist had saved JFK, and I thought I remembered something about George Wallace becoming president as part of the spiral to a hell-hole, but I guess I'm just remembering something that didn't happen. I DID like the idea of things getting worse as a result of changing the past, and I also liked how when he decided to let the past be, and he met the elderly woman with whom he'd had the relationship, and she thinks she recognizes him but can't quite place him...it just worked. I thought it was one of King's better efforts.
Old Today, 11:45 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: root

Just finished The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens. Worth the read and I've put #2 on my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
If there are any stray hairs around, feel free to split them while I'm gone.
Old Today, 12:00 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Starting another book in the Ian Rutledge series by Charles Todd, No Shred of Evidence.

Last edited by Maine-iac; Today at 12:05 PM..
Old Today, 01:47 PM
CAS

Has anyone read Circe by Madeline Miller?

I don't know if i my expectations were way too high because of the rave reviews it got, adn how many "best of" lists it made (and not just fantasy "best of" lists, either). Fantasy is my favorite genre, so when I saw it make so many lists, I quickly added it to my "to read" list.

finished it last week, and it was a huge let down. i kept expecting that it would get better and then it finished. I felt that the author needed to meet a deadline and tried to finish as fast as she could.

Anyone else?