Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-19-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavity
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe
I'm just beginning the wheel of time series with book 1. Everybody's been raving about these for years, so I thought I'd see what the fuss is all about.
WOW! I read these years ago when I was a young boy to learn better English. They were VERY good for the first few books but Mr. Jordan got too wrapped up in sub-plots that never went anywhere. I read book 8 or 9 then I gave up on the series. Is it over yet???? I want to know what happens in the end to Rand 'Al Thor
Here's a quick summary of Books 7-10:

Book 7: Lan marries Nynaive. Nothing else happens.

Book 8: They find the Bowl and use it. Things get warmer. Nothing else happens.

Book 9: Nothing happens, until the very end when, out of nowhere, Rand cleanses the taint, destroying Shadar Logoth in the process.

Book 10: Everyone in the world who can sense the One Power wonders, "What just happened?"
thanks, you just saved me several weeks
Old 11-19-2004, 03:27 PM

Moby Dick
Old 11-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Muppet Queen
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

Studying for my yearly physical
Favorite beer: battered onion rings

currently? America, The Book.
Just finished "How to Be Good" by Nick Hornby. Pretty good. Different feel to it than High Fidelity or About a Boy

Also recently finished the Da Vinci Code. It's a quick read, and very engrossing. Is it overrated? A little bit. I think some people forget that it's fiction, although some of the things he talks about are true.

I have some interesting books on the stack, some of my fave authors' latest.

Life sucks like a hoover. Grab the handle or get in the bag. fun king ded
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...82&postcount=5 Maine-iac thinks I'm smart
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...0&postcount=10 So does Westley!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:28 PM
CAS

College: Michigan

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Horrible Horrible book. Perhaps I am being too hard on it. There is really only 2 things wrong with it. Structure and Content.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Macavity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macavity
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe
I'm just beginning the wheel of time series with book 1. Everybody's been raving about these for years, so I thought I'd see what the fuss is all about.
WOW! I read these years ago when I was a young boy to learn better English. They were VERY good for the first few books but Mr. Jordan got too wrapped up in sub-plots that never went anywhere. I read book 8 or 9 then I gave up on the series. Is it over yet???? I want to know what happens in the end to Rand 'Al Thor
Here's a quick summary of Books 7-10:

Book 7: Lan marries Nynaive. Nothing else happens.

Book 8: They find the Bowl and use it. Things get warmer. Nothing else happens.

Book 9: Nothing happens, until the very end when, out of nowhere, Rand cleanses the taint, destroying Shadar Logoth in the process.

Book 10: Everyone in the world who can sense the One Power wonders, "What just happened?"
Oh my that does sound drab. Please refresh my memory. Shadar Logoth. Is that the city that was cursed by that Rasputin like character. Where Matt stole the dagger in Book 1 that caused him to almost die since it was cursed ? Also I think Padan Fain merged with the evil in that city, right? Or am I thinking of another place? What ever happened to Padain Fain? I really thought he was one of the cooler villains.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Horrible Horrible book. Perhaps I am being too hard on it. There is really only 2 things wrong with it. Structure and Content.
I guess you relate to the characters.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:33 PM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

I just finished Bay of Souls by Robert Stone. I read Cormac McCarthy's Suttree earlier this month. Gabrial Garcia Marquez's A Thousand Years of Solitude is sitting on my end table, I think that will be next.

After finishing Bay of Souls I'm thinking of re-reading Outerbridge Reach.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier
sedaris' "dress your family in cordoroy and denim" (or similar).

pretty good. I think that he might be running out of material, or at least the pickins are slimmer. He even states that his family is (uderstandably) on to him now.

I like it, and his writing in general. But it isn;t as good as "me talk pretty". and I liked the rougher writing of "naked".
I'm waiting for DYFICD to come out in paperback before picking it up. Have you read any Augusten Burroughs and, if so, how do you think he compares to Sedaris? I just started "Running With Scissors" and so far, I'm liking it.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:56 PM

The Mummy by Anne Rice

I've been reading a few Anne Rice books lately. They are pretty good, but she can ramble on at times (I'll just skip a page or two once in a while when she goes off on some rambling tangent). She does seem to have a thing for male homosexuality. She should focus more on lesbians.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:58 PM

Favorite beer: That would be flat beer, of course!

For those of you who sorta liked DaVinci Code, read his earlier book: Angels and Demons. Similiar but better.

I'm reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Somethingorother. So far so good. Don't you just love the title?

......................Some parts may be missing.