Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 AM
CAS AAA

College: UofM
Default MARCH 2018 MFE Exam

Gotta get going early on this since I'm trying to sit for MAS-I in May

Any recommended study materials? Heard actuarialbrew is good, always have used ASM without issue though. Adapt really helped me out with Exam C for the October sitting
Old 10-12-2017, 02:37 PM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

ADAPT is key for passing this exam. I highly recommend it

Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

bjb0016, did you use the SOA sample questions for MFE? I am trying to go through it (skipping anything obviously Brownian) but they feel much more difficult than Adapt.

For instance, several questions take partial derivatives of special options to get Greeks (usually delta). Ends up with N'(d2), which requires the normal function to solve. Curious if you'd recommend skipping this and only using the SOA questions within Adapt.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:22 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP

I'm probably going to take this in March, unless I get too carried away with mods.

How difficult is this exam now that the stochastic calc is gone? Wondering how much effort I should put into this relative to C and MLC.

Modules
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 AM
CAS AAA

College: UofM

March syllabus was released within the last 24 hours, unfortunately we will still not have instantaneous results
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Exam MFE Syllabus 03-2018.pdf (127.6 KB, 476 views)
Old 11-10-2017, 05:34 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcars View Post
Gotta get going early on this since I'm trying to sit for MAS-I in May

Any recommended study materials? Heard actuarialbrew is good, always have used ASM without issue though. Adapt really helped me out with Exam C for the October sitting
I am finding ADAPT very useful, so I would definitely do that in addition to ASM and Derivative Markets. I am taking the exam in less then two weeks but I am still behind so I will have to take it again in March and will be doing Adapt for at least 2-3 months. I think removing the scholastic nonsense made it easier, so better get it out of the way, since more material (though interesting material) is added to the exams after March 2018. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:17 PM
SOA

College: UCSD Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinaO View Post
I am finding ADAPT very useful, so I would definitely do that in addition to ASM and Derivative Markets. I am taking the exam in less then two weeks but I am still behind so I will have to take it again in March and will be doing Adapt for at least 2-3 months. I think removing the scholastic nonsense made it easier, so better get it out of the way, since more material (though interesting material) is added to the exams after March 2018. Good luck!
How highly would you recommend against not using Derivative Markets and relying solely on ASM and ADAPT?
Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymarp View Post
How highly would you recommend against not using Derivative Markets and relying solely on ASM and ADAPT?
I have the same question.. as I have ASM and the first few lessons don't go into great depth unlike ASM for the first two exams. Maybe I just need more practice problems to get it to stick.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:20 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymarp View Post
I am not sure if I would say do not use DM at all. While ASM and ADAPT are absolute must, for the peace of mind I would suggest to read DM as well. It is really your call, but I think the more sources of study material you use, the better off you are. Typically, I use the required book for an exam and combine it with ASM and ADAPT.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:27 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipserydr View Post
I have the same question.. as I have ASM and the first few lessons don't go into great depth unlike ASM for the first two exams. Maybe I just need more practice problems to get it to stick.
I am using old ASM manual so I am not sure how different the first chapters are from your manual (in my manual the intend was just to review some terms, since that manual was not for the "newer" edition of exam, and for DM chapters 1,2,3,5 I reviewed my notes from ASM manual for FM exam). ADAPT is were it all comes together since I believe doing questions is how you get better and find a few tricks and shortcuts. I think the best thing to do (and what I did) - I read a section from DM and then corresponding section from ASM, and once I covered entire syllabus went on to ADAPT. Hope that helps.