Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-29-2018, 02:45 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post
That seems to be both what I had heard coming into this exam and what I'm experiencing so far. So my plan is to finish the Coaching Actuaries videos by the end of this month and spend five weeks doing nothing but problems and practice exams and rewriting formulas over and over.
How are you going through the videos? Are you just doing the questions at the end of each video topic or are you also taking ADAPT quizzes after reading each topic?

I'm on Black Scholes right now and answering the questions seem straightforward enough. Just a lot of computations and calculator punching...
Old 01-29-2018, 03:58 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren_St View Post
How are you going through the videos? Are you just doing the questions at the end of each video topic or are you also taking ADAPT quizzes after reading each topic?

I'm on Black Scholes right now and answering the questions seem straightforward enough. Just a lot of computations and calculator punching...
Below are a few recommendations on how to use CA MFE products.

Phase 1: Learn
  • To learn the material, read the manual and/or watch the video lessons. Attempt the examples on your own even if you have seen the solution. Do your best to understand the underlying concepts instead of just memorizing solutions.
  • At the end of every subsection, work on a few practice problems before moving on. You can use Adapt quizzes to practice. Your goal is to do enough practice problems so that you are familiar with course concepts while sticking to your study schedule.
  • Keep in mind that completing the manual or the videos is at most halfway to being exam-ready. You then need to deeply invest in solving practice problems. We recommend completing the Learn Phase at least 30 days prior to the exam.

Phase 2: Practice & Review

We recommend spending at least 30 days just on practicing using Adapt. On your Adapt dashboard:
  • You can let Adapt automatically generate the exam for you based on your Earned Level by clicking “Take Exam”.
  • You can also create customized exams and choose whether you want to use SOA/CAS questions and choose the difficulty level of the exam.

Treat the Adapt exams as the actual exam. Stick to the 3-hour time limit. Refrain from peeking at your formula sheet or notes. Use an SOA-approved calculator.

Afterwards, review your exam questions. If you did not get a problem right, review the Adapt solution for that problem. Understand why you did not get the problem right. After that, rework the problem. If you have questions about a specific problem or concept, use the discussion forum to ask questions. Our support team will respond to your questions.

Based on the results from your Adapt exams, identify topics you are weak in. Then, create quizzes to practice those topics.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-29-2018, 04:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
Below are a few recommendations on how to use CA MFE products.

Phase 1: Learn
  • To learn the material, read the manual and/or watch the video lessons. Attempt the examples on your own even if you have seen the solution. Do your best to understand the underlying concepts instead of just memorizing solutions.
  • At the end of every subsection, work on a few practice problems before moving on. You can use Adapt quizzes to practice. Your goal is to do enough practice problems so that you are familiar with course concepts while sticking to your study schedule.
  • Keep in mind that completing the manual or the videos is at most halfway to being exam-ready. You then need to deeply invest in solving practice problems. We recommend completing the Learn Phase at least 30 days prior to the exam.

Phase 2: Practice & Review

We recommend spending at least 30 days just on practicing using Adapt. On your Adapt dashboard:
  • You can let Adapt automatically generate the exam for you based on your Earned Level by clicking “Take Exam”.
  • You can also create customized exams and choose whether you want to use SOA/CAS questions and choose the difficulty level of the exam.

Treat the Adapt exams as the actual exam. Stick to the 3-hour time limit. Refrain from peeking at your formula sheet or notes. Use an SOA-approved calculator.

Afterwards, review your exam questions. If you did not get a problem right, review the Adapt solution for that problem. Understand why you did not get the problem right. After that, rework the problem. If you have questions about a specific problem or concept, use the discussion forum to ask questions. Our support team will respond to your questions.

Based on the results from your Adapt exams, identify topics you are weak in. Then, create quizzes to practice those topics.

Hope this helps!
Thank you.

I would like to get your opinion on this. If one understands how to do the sample problems at the end of each video lecture, do you recommend the student

1. Go on to the next video lecture topic

Or

2. Take practice quizzes before moving onto the next video lecture topic?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:45 PM
SOA

College: UCLA Alumni

Quote:
How's everybody's studying going? Where are you in terms of the topic/material?

Just finished reading Black/Scholes.

Remaining Chapters: Exotic Options, Monte Carlo Valuations, Interest Rate Models.
Almost done with Binomial Trees. Have to study harder
Old 01-29-2018, 06:18 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Thank you.

I would like to get your opinion on this. If one understands how to do the sample problems at the end of each video lecture, do you recommend the student

1. Go on to the next video lecture topic

Or

2. Take practice quizzes before moving onto the next video lecture topic?
Assuming you've reserved the last 30 days just on practicing, I'd recommend moving to the next video lecture if you can understand the sample problems from the video lecture.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:02 AM
CAS

Studying for OC2
College: Roll Tide - alumnae

Quote:

I've been doing the videos and the example problems at the end of each lecture video, then going back a few days later to do the separate video example problems.

I'm still on track to finish up the videos tomorrow (and probably the sample problems on Friday or Saturday), so that gives me 5 weeks to do nothing but practice and watch review videos as necessary.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryleslieknope View Post
I've been doing the videos and the example problems at the end of each lecture video, then going back a few days later to do the separate video example problems.

I'm still on track to finish up the videos tomorrow (and probably the sample problems on Friday or Saturday), so that gives me 5 weeks to do nothing but practice and watch review videos as necessary.
Is it only me or is the material extremely boring? I feel like out of all the prelims, I have the least interest/motivation in learning the material. It might also be because its my last exam and I am burnt out
Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 AM
CAS

Studying for OC2
College: Roll Tide - alumnae

I'm having a hard time getting hype for this exam. I think in part because last year I took C and S and this is definitely an easier exam?

Also, yeah, it's a lot of formula memorization and that's just not my jam.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:35 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP

I feel the same way with MLC and C last year but I just told myself to overstudy because I think it'd be embarrassing for the current iteration of MFE to be my first exam fail

Modules
Old 02-06-2018, 03:12 PM
SOA

College: UCLA Alumni

Quote:
Is it only me or is the material extremely boring? I feel like out of all the prelims, I have the least interest/motivation in learning the material. It might also be because its my last exam and I am burnt out
You are not alone. I have the same feeling.