Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > United Kingdom / Europe > Careers-Employment: United Kingdom / Europe
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
Missed that I was replying to an old post!

It helps to have someone back me up, I don't think I was talking nonsense, but my view seems to be different to other commenters.

I think the lesson is that no-one should put too much store in what's being said in here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Swiss pay more and their qualification is a lot easier. The opposite in the UK thanks to IFoA.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:50 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary_truther View Post
Swiss pay more and their qualification is a lot easier. The opposite in the UK thanks to IFoA.
They pay more because Swiss is more expensive.

They also value UK Actuaries, as they know that on the life side we are better trained.

Eventually, all of this reaches a balance as Swiss and UK Actuaries go back and forth.

Ironically, this is the only MR agreement that will surivive the UKs exit from the EU, as the UK and Swiss have already come up with a new bilateral agreement.
Old 12-21-2019, 04:27 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post

They also value UK Actuaries, as they know that on the life side we are better trained.

Eventually, all of this reaches a balance as Swiss and UK Actuaries go back and forth.

Ironically, this is the only MR agreement that will surivive the UKs exit from the EU, as the UK and Swiss have already come up with a new bilateral agreement.
Oh, that's interesting. Can you share the details of tell us where to find the new rules about the UK and Swiss Mutual Recognition?

How do you know that UK and EU would not have any MRA?
Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post

Everyone knows UK qualification is much tougher than the Swiss. Several actuaries have testified so in a British Court. Large employers know it too and pay UK actuaries more in Switzerland.

The only people in denial are IFoA but a Court found their Associate was good enough for European syllabus. IFoA couldn't dispute that as it was their own mapping that showed it but still they didn't have the decency to admit the qualifications are not equivalent.

Whatever measure you choose, IFoA qual is much harder. You can complete the Swiss exams in a 2 year course with minimal dropouts. IFoA is 50% dropout and long qualification times. Go figure.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:16 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary_truther View Post
Everyone knows UK qualification is much tougher than the Swiss. Several actuaries have testified so in a British Court. Large employers know it too and pay UK actuaries more in Switzerland.

The only people in denial are IFoA but a Court found their Associate was good enough for European syllabus. IFoA couldn't dispute that as it was their own mapping that showed it but still they didn't have the decency to admit the qualifications are not equivalent.

Whatever measure you choose, IFoA qual is much harder. You can complete the Swiss exams in a 2 year course with minimal dropouts. IFoA is 50% dropout and long qualification times. Go figure.
How much can UK actuaries get paid in Switzerland?