Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

View Poll Results: Will self driving autos kill car insurance?
Of course 39 16.32%
Maybe but not for a long time 172 71.97%
I'm a luddite... 28 11.72%
Voters: 239. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2018, 07:46 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...rs-less-black/

Quote:
Self-driving cars face more than a few problems before they become mainstream, but one you may not have heard of is the trouble of black paint. Over one-sixth of all cars sold globally are in black, they're hard for self-driving cameras to see.

The problem is apparent to anyone who has worn black on a hot summer day: Dark colors absorb light. Self-driving cars typically rely on what's called LIDAR, which sends out short laser bursts to measure distance and take stock of what's ahead, but if those bursts are falling into a black paint job then they're not much use to the car or anyone else. While self-driving cars can also use sonar, radar, and cameras to navigate, LIDAR is the broadly best available option, except for that black paint problem. Fortunately auto paint maker PPG is finally figuring out a solution.

“We’ve been manipulating wavelengths from the color standpoint for a long time,” says David Bem, PPG's chief technology officer, to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The company has focused on reflective technology for its aerospace coatings, and began working to leverage that technology for self-driving cars.

Eggplants grow in the heat of summer, despite their dark purple skin. Their skin lets infrared light pass through to the aubergine's white flesh, which bounces the infrared light right back. PPG has copied eggplants before, using the technique to reduce heat on the skin of planes. This coating system will light that same infrared light pass through cars, making it easier than ever for LIDAR to function.

Of course, that's imagining a car on a perfect sunny day. rougher conditions, like snow or sleet, could affect how visible the paint is. What about cars with bumpers? Or bumpers covered with bumper stickers?

“Instead of one omnibus coating on a car, we might have four, five, or six different types of coatings for different areas,” Bem tells Bloomberg. “As it gets more complex, it’s good for a company like us.”

LinkedIn Profile
Old 01-21-2018, 09:29 PM

I was driving after the snow a couple of week ago, toward a low sun, when the car in ahead of me went through the snow in the middle of the road and then back onto the blacktop portion, leaving a long, silvery-shiny tire-width streak.

When I passed over it my car beeped at me and flashed a lane warning...it thought I had crossed the dividing line.

Not quite there yet.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Wait, so for this "solution" to make self-driving cars safe, does that mean that every black car in the world would need to be repainted?

If so,

There were 1.2 billion cars in the world in 2014 - a number which I imagine must be even higher now. 1/6 of 1.2 billion is 200,000,000.

Only 200 *million* cars will need to be repainted. What a fabulous solution!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Wait, so for this "solution" to make self-driving cars safe, does that mean that every black car in the world would need to be repainted?

If so,

There were 1.2 billion cars in the world in 2014 - a number which I imagine must be even higher now. 1/6 of 1.2 billion is 200,000,000.

Only 200 *million* cars will need to be repainted. What a fabulous solution!
Yeah, that will go over well.

"You have to repaint your car so my car will work!"
Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post

Only chance would be to have it so that the owner of the older black car didn't have to pay for the paint job.

If the EV makers pay for it, that's going to drive up the cost of EV to be even more prohibitively high than it already is. Best the EV manufacturers can hope for is that the paint jobs be government funded.

But there's going to be plenty of tin-foil-hat folks that won't be willing to get a free paint job regardless. If this is what they're relying on, then we're further away than I previously thought.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:31 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post

I mean it's so ridiculous that I'm assuming I must be misunderstanding somehow. This can't possibly be getting touted as a serious solution? Can it? Repainting every black car that an EV might encounter???

Or using a more expensive paint now so that 40 years in the future EVs will work and the more expensive paint will be ubiquitous?

Because that's about how long it would take. Like I said, if this is the hope, then we're much further away than I thought. At this rate my grandchildren (OK, great nieces & nephews since grandchildren are unlikely at this point) are going to be learning how to drive.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
But there's going to be plenty of tin-foil-hat folks that won't be willing to get a free paint job regardless. If this is what they're relying on, then we're further away than I previously thought.
So true. #InfoWars
Old 01-22-2018, 12:15 PM
CAS

Uber's CEO still thinks fully autonomous taxis are still 10-15 years away:

Quote:
Back down on the ground, the Uber CEO cited congested cities as one of the issues his company can help solve, for example by increasing the number of electric vehicles. Fully autonomous taxis are still 10 to 15 years away, however, because of the effort needed to create 3D maps and since sensors are still too expensive, he said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ithin-10-years

He also says that flying cars will be here before autonomous cars, so take that as you will.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by examsarehard View Post
Uber's CEO still thinks fully autonomous taxis are still 10-15 years away:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ithin-10-years

He also says that flying cars will be here before autonomous cars, so take that as you will.
I thought flying cars were already here... just extremely expensive.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
I thought flying cars were already here... just extremely expensive.
They're called helicopters.

LinkedIn Profile