Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-03-2018, 12:01 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskies007 View Post
My question is what are the odds of getting an EL position without getting a degree in a related major. I personally think it would be more useful to take a couple courses in SAS or SQL and focus on passing tests, but I don't know if that's how employers see it.
Your background in pharmacy and sales might make you attractive to a health consulting firm (which happens to be the area I'm in), so you might want to especially target that.

Your biggest issue is probably the number of exams. Pass them as quickly as you can -- you'll have more luck getting a job with two than one, and you'll have more luck getting a job with three than two. I was also a career changer, and I finally got a job offer right after passing my third exam.

The three exams still jointly taken by the SOA and CAS are P, FM, and MFE, so you probably don't want to take anything beyond that prior to getting an actuarial position (unless you definitely plan to go down the health route).
Old 04-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for IFM

Thanks so much! That is very helpful information. I am going to hold off on going to grad school for now. Right now I am focusing on getting my applied statistics VEE before the July 1st deadline to avoid the SRM exam. After that, I am debating if it would be worth it to focus on becoming proficient in VBA or SQL for a month or two, so that way I can post that on my resume while I continue to take tests and apply. From poking around on here it seem as though having some programming skills gives an edge, and even if I were to get hired I don't know if I would want to start from scratch.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Studying for P/1
College: M.S. University of Texas; B.S. Trinity University

Thanks for the input. In my case, I am pretty "set on actuarial" because I have passed two exams and my qualifications for most other professional jobs are weaker. Most EL jobs at companies that employ actuaries would be an improvement over my current job, even if they are not stepping stones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
I feel like a broken record for saying this so many times on this forum, but I'll give it a shot again...

If you're a career changer, why are you so set on actuarial? If you're having trouble getting an actuarial job, it can't hurt to look at other quantitative/finance professions. Actuary is a good job, but there are lots of good jobs out there.

ETA: I say this because I'm of the opinion that taking one EL job for the sole purpose of a stepping stone into another EL job should be pretty low on your options list.