Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-17-2018, 02:36 AM
aanglen aanglen is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 61
Default SRM Credit = “exam passed”?

Say you’ve passed P, FM, IFM, and MLC. You’d say “I have passed 4 exams.”

If you claim the applied stats credit, it will convert into SRM exam credit on your transcript. Does this mean you now have “5 exams passed”?

If “no,” then I assume you’d say “4 exams passed and transition credit for a 5th”

In either case, would you expect to get the SRM raise that you company offers?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-17-2018, 07:54 PM
windows7forever windows7forever is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 178
Default

I have not seen a company has offered raise for passing any VEE courses, but that's not sure for VEE equivalent SRM exam. Each company would have a set of budget. If they offer more raises to new exam passers, that may cause insufficient budget issue this year.

5 exams total raises should be similar to new 7 exams raises, but people passed some exams would get new extra raises, such as that new PA exam.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:46 AM
angryleslieknope angryleslieknope is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Studying for 5
College: Roll Tide - alumnae
Posts: 162
Default

Just as a counter example, my company does offer very small raises for passing VEE courses. They're about a third of the raises for P/FM/MFE.
__________________
P FM C S MFE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-18-2018, 11:07 AM
DarchArvor's Avatar
DarchArvor DarchArvor is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Studying for everything
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
I have not seen a company has offered raise for passing any VEE courses, but that's not sure for VEE equivalent SRM exam. Each company would have a set of budget. If they offer more raises to new exam passers, that may cause insufficient budget issue this year.

5 exams total raises should be similar to new 7 exams raises, but people passed some exams would get new extra raises, such as that new PA exam.
I passed P FM MFE C MLC and my company will not even give me a raise for passing the PA lol
__________________
P FM MFE C MLC PA FAP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-20-2018, 12:35 PM
ashley7491 ashley7491 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Studying for FSA Module & Exam
Favorite beer: Summer Ale
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarchArvor View Post
I passed P FM MFE C MLC and my company will not even give me a raise for passing the PA lol
Really?! Do you get a raise for IA and FA or completing the FAP all together? If the answer is no, then I see why you wouldn't get a raise for PA. It seems PA will be a shorter version of FA. If the answer is yes, then something seems wrong with that to me...

For the OP, I don't believe my company will be giving raises to the ASA candidates for getting credit for SRM with the VEE. Also, I would say you have 4 exams with transition credit for a 5th exam rather than saying 5 exams. Passing the Stats VEE course (whatever you did) is not equivalent to passing an actuarial exam in my opinion.
__________________
ASA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM
DjPim's Avatar
DjPim DjPim is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 329
Default

My company will give a raise/bonus IFF you study for and sit for the exam while employed at the company and pass. Transitional credit for SRM does not net us anything extra, but taking SRM or PA and passing will. From what I've been told, exam raises/bonuses for the other prelims are not decreasing with the change, so my assumption is that the starting pay for entry-level will be slightly lower to accommodate*, or it won't and the company will just pay more (thanks FIT reduction!).

*There is no negotiation for entry level here. There's a set base salary + the raise amount for the exams you've passed when starting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
"Cali" SMH.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 AM
aanglen aanglen is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
My company will give a raise/bonus IFF you study for and sit for the exam while employed at the company and pass. Transitional credit for SRM does not net us anything extra, but taking SRM or PA and passing will. From what I've been told, exam raises/bonuses for the other prelims are not decreasing with the change, so my assumption is that the starting pay for entry-level will be slightly lower to accommodate*, or it won't and the company will just pay more (thanks FIT reduction!).

*There is no negotiation for entry level here. There's a set base salary + the raise amount for the exams you've passed when starting.
You wrote that for entry level, your company pays $X base + raise amt for exams. Therefore, would a candidate with P, FM, IFM, and MLC be paid less than a candidate with P, FM, IFM, MLC, and SRM (attained through transition credit)?

Or would your company say “transition credit for SRM is worth nothing” despite the fact that the candidate with transition credit would be closer to attaining his or her ASA than the candidate without transition credit?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.26468 seconds with 11 queries