Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Around the World > Australia - New Zealand > Careers-Employment: Australia - New Zealand
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2017 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-21-2018, 02:31 AM
SOA

College: University of the Philippines Diliman, Postgraduate Alumnus
Default Seeking advice from Australian actuaries

Hello!

I am an actuarial candidate from the Philippines who will be moving to Sydney this year (my wife is taking her Masters degree at University of Sydney). For additional background, I've passed 4 SOA exams (P, FM, MFE, and C), 2 VEEs (Corporate Finance and Statistics), and have 5 years of work experience in the Philippines with nonlife, health, and life insurance companies. Just wanted to ask advice from Australian actuaries (particularly in the Sydney NSW area) or people with familiarity of the industry in that area:

i.) How do I best prepare for interviews with potential employers? I know some interviews can be quite technical, is this an area I should focus on?
ii.) If I am asked about my salary expectations, what would be an appropriate figure to ask for, given my current qualifications? I've tried looking up median or average salaries online, but they seem a little high and I don't want to seem like I'm asking for a lot

I'd also really appreciate any other advice about living and working in Sydney. It'll be my first time going there next month, haha