Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Sorry for my rambling, I just wanted to apply what I've been learning from Online Course 1.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPAN View Post
How can I get R or Python installed on my computer if official corporate IT policy is not to install open source software?
You don't. Especially if you're not a manager, any requests you make will just all on deaf ears.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 06-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Always befriend the IT department.

It won't necessarily get you admin access (though I did manage to wangle that one once), but I find I can get the IT people to install about anything for me that =somebody= in the company has access to.

Pretty much everywhere I've worked, all the IT people knew who I was. ...because I kept breaking stuff. (I usually knew how I broke it, but it required admin access to fix)

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

A real piece of advice: Buy yourself a computer. Install whatever the hell you want on that machine.

There are public data sets you can use for playing with in R. Or semi-anonymized ones on kaggle.

I used to always bring my macbook in with me to work, if I wanted to work something out in some non-corporate software. Once, I got the entire actuarial/financial reporting area lectured at by a lawyer for doing this (note: i wasn't using company or proprietary data, and the lawyers decided to lecture us about policyholder data privacy, which wasn't even involved...but hey, billable hours), so user beware.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-23-2018, 09:13 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Always befriend the IT department.

It won't necessarily get you admin access (though I did manage to wangle that one once), but I find I can get the IT people to install about anything for me that =somebody= in the company has access to.

Pretty much everywhere I've worked, all the IT people knew who I was. ...because I kept breaking stuff. (I usually knew how I broke it, but it required admin access to fix)
so much this!

we have a formal process for creating essentially a work order for ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING we ask of IT. i haven't had to do that in >10 years. back channel as much as you can
Old 06-27-2018, 07:00 AM

You need a soft token (2-Factor Authentication code sent to mobile) to log into company VPN.
To apply for a soft token, please log into this self-service portal and fill out the application form.
You need a soft token to log into said self-service portal.

You want to install R? Never heard of it. Case closed.

Acceptable social media use policy that everyone needs to read and explicitly acknowledge as having read it. IT policy blocks all access to social media from company machines.

IT department has new idea for improving security. What's better than one anti virus programme? 3 anti virus programmes of course, managed by 3 independent teams! The 3 programmes between them hog all computer resources rendering them practically unusable, plus god knows whatever conflicts that might exist. Any helpdesk ticket lodged gets closed down almost immediately, with the "resolution" being each of the 3 teams blaming the other two.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:22 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishamael View Post
You need a soft token (2-Factor Authentication code sent to mobile) to log into company VPN.
To apply for a soft token, please log into this self-service portal and fill out the application form.
You need a soft token to log into said self-service portal.

You want to install R? Never heard of it. Case closed.

Acceptable social media use policy that everyone needs to read and explicitly acknowledge as having read it. IT policy blocks all access to social media from company machines.

IT department has new idea for improving security. What's better than one anti virus programme? 3 anti virus programmes of course, managed by 3 independent teams! The 3 programmes between them hog all computer resources rendering them practically unusable, plus god knows whatever conflicts that might exist. Any helpdesk ticket lodged gets closed down almost immediately, with the "resolution" being each of the 3 teams blaming the other two.
This is so true that I cried a bit.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.