Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-06-2018, 02:15 PM
SOA

Default United Healthcare - Employer Review

I noticed they have several Associate Director and Director positions open that are out of state, but indicates telecommuting is possible.

I would like to hear more from UHC employees who have worked with them before either for telecommute or traditional full time actuarial positions.

Is it common for them to offer telecommute positions for out of state applicants? Relocating would be a deal breaker for me.

I am currently working for an employer who has allowed me to transition into a full time remote position over the years.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 PM
SOA

I don't work there but from my knowledge of them via their internal recruiter/people who work there, they are pretty open to full-time remote work and a number of their jobs allow for that - you can typically see the availability for remote work in the job posting. I have heard, that if you are in a department where the majority of the team is in-office, say, one of their segments based out of MN, it is tougher to see long-term success if you're not actually there. That's pretty expected for any scenario where you're part of the minority working from home.

I, too, work from home full-time at a company whose culture really supports the remote aspect. Nearly everyone on my team works remotely, or if they're in office, they're scattered across different offices out there, so it's still a remote team. In this scenario, there really isn't much of a disadvantage because it's just the norm, however, I imagine it's just going to be different from company to company as to how much it is supported from a career growth perspective.

Last edited by TDM612; 07-13-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 01:41 PM
SOA AAA

Well, it could be their Orange County location, which sucks in many ways. Traffic..... Can't think of anything else 'cause stuck in traffic.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM612 View Post
I have heard, that if you are in a department where the majority of the team is in-office, say, one of their segments based out of MN, it is tougher to see long-term success if you're not actually there. That's pretty expected for any scenario where you're part of the minority working from home.
UHC does have a lot of telecommuters. What was said about long-term success I think is pretty valid the higher up you go / the more direct reports you get, but I know in one department, only 2-3 people were ever in the office and everyone telecommuted (including directors). In other departments, like pricing, they prefer you to be in office, but there are still telecommuters.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:20 PM
SOA

Traffic sucks.

Yeah, I think the idea of remote work is an interesting alternative that I've been following. The prevalence of it has really picked up in the last x years, and at least in my anecdotal experience, seems to be growing even further at least in the actuarial space. I know for certain fields/industries, the pool of talent is way too small if you only look locally or force applicants to relocate. The increasing trend towards more and more talent seeking out remote work probably starts to funnel through to the recruiters, and companies eventually figure it's better to get good talent and let them work remotely than to limit the talent pool for someone willing to come in the office.

Again, something interesting that I'm following. I have heard some studies that might push the reversal of this trend, or puts a halt to it. Who knows.