Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-03-2018, 09:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
This is wrong on many levels.
Careful, your academia is showing.

The CEO doesn't have time for prose, get to the ****ing point.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Elequence is not important.

Being concise is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
This is wrong on many levels.
ISWYDT.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
You must interact with a very different group of people in government than I do.
I've always been involved, at least when it comes to government work, data analysis that will affect millions of people and requires constant attention to ethics, and would eventually be reported to the media in some way. My guess is that most people in government don't have to deal with that sort of pressure, or they're rather ignorant of public records laws.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM, PA, FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

My father, an Emeritus Professor from Johns Hopkins, is a highly decorated author of over thirty books, including one world-best-seller. But he hates books, academia and academic culture--go figure. He's recommended one book to me in our lives--the same book he recommended his students when he taught: The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. Reading it is very........different!

A cursory Google search uncovered the century-old text in all its glory for free: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3713...-h/37134-h.htm

Also, despite the organized garbage I pen on here sometimes, I consider myself to be very strong verbally. When I'm done with FAP IA, I'll read anyone's writing if they want and offer feedback FWIW as long as you don't make me read a play, creative writing, a poem or anything fictional. Or expect me to read more than a few pages

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 (awaiting result) | 7 (awaiting result) | FA

Conferences: APC
Old 07-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NchooseK View Post
My father, an Emeritus Professor from Johns Hopkins, is a highly decorated author of over thirty books, including one world-best-seller. But he hates books, academia and academic culture--go figure. He's recommended one book to me in our lives--the same book he recommended his students when he taught: The Elements of Style by Strunk and White. Reading it is very........different!

A cursory Google search uncovered the century-old text in all its glory for free: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/3713...-h/37134-h.htm

Also, despite the organized garbage I pen on here sometimes, I consider myself to be very strong verbally. When I'm done with FAP IA, I'll read anyone's writing if they want and offer feedback FWIW as long as you don't make me read a play, creative writing, a poem or anything fictional. Or expect me to read more than a few pages
At our business unit's Christmas party our corporate secretary gave everyone their own Strunk & White.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:07 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Concision may confuse people if too concise. People may need additional context.
That's not really what we mean.

From strunk and white:
Quote:
Vigorous writing is concise. A sentence should contain no unnecessary words, a paragraph no unnecessary sentences, for the same reason that a drawing should have no unnecessary lines and a machine no unnecessary parts. This requires not that the writer make all his sentences short, or that he avoid all detail and treat his subjects only in outline, but that he make every word tell.
You may be more familiar with the term "chartjunk".
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-08-2018 at 01:21 PM..
Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Fwiw, the most common issue I run into is lack of completeness. For some reason nobody likes to layout exactly what the hell they are thinking via email.

You have to go back and forth ten times to tease out the why's and when's and follow-ups. Or else schedule a stupid meeting just to explain that Sheet1!C:22 should be a sumif.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-08-2018 at 01:19 PM..