Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-10-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Hi Wezard,

What skills do you have outside of your education (python, C++, R, other work experience, etc)? You really need to consider the market that you're in. There are lots of equally qualified candidates, so you will need to set yourself apart. There are a lot of companies looking for programming skills, and that's easy enough to learn in your free time. I would suggest Python & R as a start.

Beyond that, as cliche as it sounds, expand your network. Don't simply contact the people you know, but ask the people you know to introduce you to connections in your local market. Look for actuaries in your area, and don't simply approach them with a resume. Ask them non job related questions, get to know them, build a rapport, and move in later with the job related questions (ie How did you find your first job, etc).

You may also want to get a few people to critique your resume and cover letter for you. If it's pretty bland, it may fall flat. It's important to note that resumes are not a one size fits all type deal. You need to read each job description, learn about each company, and then tailor each resume for the job/company you're applying to. You may not have all of the experience required, but try to draw parallels with the experience you do have and the job description/company mission statement.

As far as recruiters are concerned (full disclosure - I'm with DW Simpson), there are not any that work on entry level positions internationally. This is mainly because companies do not use our services at the entry level in these markets. We do have an entry level team, but it is primarily focused on the US / Canadian markets.

Simply put, you will need to buckle down, network, and make every application count. When you do get an actuarial job offer, take it. Don't be concerned with starting salary. That's just a starting point. Once you have your foot in the door, you have 1-2 years to increase your pay. If you're not happy at that point, you'll then have experience that will make your next job search much easier.

I've heard your story a thousand times. The key is to be persistent and stay on point. Make sure your LinkedIn profile looks good. Hide all other social media, and make sure any public photos look professional. Format your emails properly, and don't use shorthand. Lastly, remember to say please and thank you throughout your job search. Kindness and professionalism go a long way in a job search.

Best of luck,

Tom
HI Tom,
I do have computer programming skills, but unfortunately it is MATLAB and C++. I do not have any work experience and the problem is that I don't really see much entry level job posts. I think I'm bad at networking tho, as I am more of the math nerd kinda guy. In terms of resume and cover letter, I think I do have decent ones as I asked a few person to check them. In terms of recruiters, I think that you said do represent the situation. I really don't see any of the recruiters recruiting entry level jobs. Even if they do, they are for UK/US jobs.

Last edited by wezard; 07-10-2018 at 11:35 PM..
Old 07-10-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
I have seen this problem before.

Its not a good idea to have zero work experience and lots of exemptions. Companies do not want to pay your salary based on those exemptions when you have zero work experience. Why pay somebody £50K/year when they are doing work worth £30K/year due to the lack of experience.

Russell Group? I am surprised you are not getting a few nibbles, but the problem is the lack of experience and starting salary due to exemptions. You need finance based experience. It does not have to be Actuarial so I suggest you look at other sectors.
I am considering other sectors but I'm really not sure which sectors to look into.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
Based off my experience, it seems like actuarial employers are wary of hiring ELLs.

At the end of the day, actuaries are business people. I'm still an analyst/assistant, but it feels like I do more talking and writing than I do crunching numbers.
Even if an ELL speaks English proficiently, we still have a bias towards a native English speaker.

The only advice I can give you is to keep trying and apply to every opportunity available.

In one position at our company, we hired someone from Hong Kong because there wasn't anyone domestic available.
Was that position entry level?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:54 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezard View Post
HI Tom,
I do have computer programming skills, but unfortunately it is MATLAB and C++. I do not have any work experience and the problem is that I don't really see much entry level job posts. I think I'm bad at networking tho, as I am more of the math nerd kinda guy. In terms of resume and cover letter, I think I do have decent ones as I asked a few person to check them. In terms of recruiters, I think that you said do represent the situation. I really don't see any of the recruiters recruiting entry level jobs. Even if they do, they are for UK/US jobs.
Two online things you can try in the U.S. - indeed.com and LinkedIn. Just type entry level actuarial jobs on either search engine.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:59 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Was that position entry level?
Yep.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 AM

Edit: just realised you already started a thread a few months ago on this exact same topic, with even more details of your credentials.

There was already plenty of advice provided. Did you follow up? Applied for any internships or life insurance jobs (instead of just P&C)?

Last edited by thekang; 07-11-2018 at 02:56 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I heard that too but I cant help it that I graduated with the exemptions. Do you think it would be better to not mention IFOA exams in the resume?
No. But in your covering letter, perhaps make it clear that you are not looking for a starting salary commensurate with your exam passes/exemptions, given your lack of experience.

I am not sure what the typical route to qualification is in HK now. At one time it used to be split between people taking the SOA route and others taking the IFOA route (plus a few from Australia, South Africa etc). If that has now changed, so that there are very few IFOA students, perhaps it would be easier to switch to SOA (or China?) qualifications - even if it means (re)taking some exams?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekang View Post
Edit: just realised you already started a thread a few months ago on this exact same topic, with even more details of your credentials.

There was already plenty of advice provided. Did you follow up? Applied for any internships or life insurance jobs (instead of just P&C)?
Yea, I did look into internships but I have been told they are reluctant to take someone who have graduated. Iíve tried looking into life too but no results.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
No. But in your covering letter, perhaps make it clear that you are not looking for a starting salary commensurate with your exam passes/exemptions, given your lack of experience.

I am not sure what the typical route to qualification is in HK now. At one time it used to be split between people taking the SOA route and others taking the IFOA route (plus a few from Australia, South Africa etc). If that has now changed, so that there are very few IFOA students, perhaps it would be easier to switch to SOA (or China?) qualifications - even if it means (re)taking some exams?
From what Iíve seen most jobs accept the equivalent of the qualifications of the american society.

Tags
career advice, graduate