Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MAS-I
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

MAS-I Old Exam S Forum

Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM
CAS

Taking this! Just wrapped up B-2 on TIA today.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary_Zero View Post
Taking this! Just wrapped up B-2 on TIA today.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:51 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I
College: University of Nebraska at Omaha

As someone who just took 3F (IFM) and is waiting for my grade to come out in September with like 75% confidence in passing, should I try for the October sitting of MAS-I?

VEE: Accounting and Corporate Finance[✔] Economics[✔]

Online Course: 1[ ] 2[ ]

Course on Professionalism[ ]
Old 07-18-2018, 06:55 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsteinbach View Post
As someone who just took 3F (IFM) and is waiting for my grade to come out in September with like 75% confidence in passing, should I try for the October sitting of MAS-I?

If you passed IFM, then you should definitely take MAS-I in October and there isn't a problem.

Assuming you failed, IFM is a month after MAS-I. So really you have to decide if you're willing and able to spend all that time studying.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:47 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totient(43) View Post
If you passed IFM, then you should definitely take MAS-I in October and there isn't a problem.

Assuming you failed, IFM is a month after MAS-I. So really you have to decide if you're willing and able to spend all that time studying.
And that's when work is going to really start picking up again.

I'm starting to lean towards knocking out online course 1, not sure how difficult it is for someone with only (hopefully) three exams under their belt.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
And that's when work is going to really start picking up again.

I'm starting to lean towards knocking out online course 1, not sure how difficult it is for someone with only (hopefully) three exams under their belt.
It is a 4 hour exam, and there is so much information. I think you could do it in three months, but it might not be worth it if you have to double up. Taking OC1 is a good idea, and you have to take it at some point regardless. I guess the other thing to think about is if passing MAS-I now versus in March really costs you anything significant.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
It is a 4 hour exam, and there is so much information. I think you could do it in three months, but it might not be worth it if you have to double up. Taking OC1 is a good idea, and you have to take it at some point regardless. I guess the other thing to think about is if passing MAS-I now versus in March really costs you anything significant.
As far as I know, I'm not racing towards an ACAS designation before some syllabus/exam structure change, I'm still a bit away from that. So, I feel like I can afford one exam sitting there.

My firm's student program requires passing an exam/course every 18 months, but that shouldn't be a problem. That's the only significant cost I can think of, but passing Online Course 1 would count towards that and I just passed VEE econ, which also counts.

My biggest concern would be not having enough exam/career experience for this material. I'm not sure what the recommended prereqs are for online course 1.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
As far as I know, I'm not racing towards an ACAS designation before some syllabus/exam structure change, I'm still a bit away from that. So, I feel like I can afford one exam sitting there.

My firm's student program requires passing an exam/course every 18 months, but that shouldn't be a problem. That's the only significant cost I can think of, but passing Online Course 1 would count towards that and I just passed VEE econ, which also counts.

My biggest concern would be not having enough exam/career experience for this material. I'm not sure what the recommended prereqs are for online course 1.
There aren't any prerequisite requirements. It's self contained and just covers risk management and insurance operations. I personally didn't do this, but it's not uncommon for undergraduates to take it. I've also heard of people taking it after they've been working for a while, and it's really easy for them. You could do it in 30 days if you were so inclined.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:01 PM
CAS

Studying for MAS-I

Quote:
There aren't any prerequisite requirements. It's self contained and just covers risk management and insurance operations. I personally didn't do this, but it's not uncommon for undergraduates to take it. I've also heard of people taking it after they've been working for a while, and it's really easy for them. You could do it in 30 days if you were so inclined.
I do have a year's worth of actuarial/reserving experience under my belt, along with 3 years of insurance experience, so that might help a bit too.

I'll probably go with OC1 next, it just seems like less of a risk compared to assuming I passed an exam and studying for the next.

I appreciate your input. I'll reach to more senior associates at work to see what they think of this plan.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 AM
CAS

If you end up using TIA for MAS-I they will put your subscription on hold if you find out you failed.

You can revert back to IFM if you need to, pretty easily.