Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

View Poll Results: How much would you spend?
$360. I'll manage with very little 5 25.00%
$673. I want a carry-on's worth of stuff as well. 11 55.00%
$42. 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 PM
SOA AAA

Also have to risk that WOW still exists next January.
Or $776 on United non-stop.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

On RyanAir a couple across from us decided that their seats were a good place for a blow job, rather than being a bit considerate and using the bathroom like civilized people. Not sure if you'd count that as a pro or con though.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
On RyanAir a couple across from us decided that their seats were a good place for a blow job, rather than being a bit considerate and using the bathroom like civilized people. Not sure if you'd count that as a pro or con though.
Did you put their identities on twitter and blog the entire encounter?
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 07-12-2018, 05:18 PM
SOA AAA

Do you have any idea how much the wifi fee is on RyanAir???

Take pics and vids, and blog about it upon landing.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 AM
CAS

Studying for 2018 Las Vegas NABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Balmy! Shorts weather!!

Driving to South Padre Island would take less time. But, it's South Padre Island.

I'd rather go skiing, if I remember how to.

Wondering if you can rent clothes while there. So, you buy your seven underwear outfits, and rent the outer layers. I sense a business plan....
There could be a clothes rental kiosk when you arrive at CDG airport. One freshly laundered let of clothes in a bag. But I don't know if you could charge enough to rent clothes without spending too much of the difference in the flight cost.

If I want to rent one more change of clothes for 8 days what is that going to cost me. Would I really spend even $5/day = $40? Would the company make money since someone has to go to the airport, wash the clothes, and get them back in the vending machine.

Better yet would be cheap discardable clothing. It just has to look OK and last a few weeks. Something that doesn't require returning, and something I don't mind tossing when it's time to get on the return flight. Hmmmm....

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Huh, this is the first I’ve heard of wow air. But a quick google returned this news story from yesterday.

http://www.kmov.com/story/38634370/n...for-three-days
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
There could be a clothes rental kiosk when you arrive at CDG airport. One freshly laundered let of clothes in a bag. But I don't know if you could charge enough to rent clothes without spending too much of the difference in the flight cost.

If I want to rent one more change of clothes for 8 days what is that going to cost me. Would I really spend even $5/day = $40? Would the company make money since someone has to go to the airport, wash the clothes, and get them back in the vending machine.

Better yet would be cheap discardable clothing. It just has to look OK and last a few weeks. Something that doesn't require returning, and something I don't mind tossing when it's time to get on the return flight. Hmmmm....
Small market, of only the cheapest actuaries.....
Old 07-13-2018, 10:23 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Huh, this is the first I’ve heard of wow air. But a quick google returned this news story from yesterday.

http://www.kmov.com/story/38634370/n...for-three-days
That sounds like a typical WOW story.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:52 AM
CAS

Studying for 2018 Las Vegas NABC

Actually I see a lot of decent reviews. People that want a good value and have low expectations in accordance with that value seem happy. People that rant about the airline are used to other airlines and weren't prepared for the difference.

If I do go to Paris early next year, it's way too early to decide yet. I think I need to wait until 2018Q4 to get an idea of what 2019Q1 non-WOW flights will go for.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. (Psalm 16:11)
Old 07-23-2018, 02:06 PM
SOA AAA

How about sending your clothes ahead via FedEx? Not sure of the cost differential. just send them to the hotel you're staying at. Get one of those suck-all-the-air-out devices.