Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-10-2018, 04:45 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt and Chill View Post
PA Syllabus was updated today. Looks like the final deliverable might be similar to the FA, with heavy emphasis on the model building aspects. Nine (!!) modules to cover everything. Looks like supplemental materials won't be necessary for this one, provided that the candidate works through the required SRM material.

https://www.soa.org/Education/Exam-R...pa-detail.aspx
I'm not surprised that "communication" makes up 30%-40% of the grading weights. This project feels like the SOA is trying to fill in a gap between FAP (communication-intensive) and the prelims (technical-intensive). My concern is that rather than finding a happy balance between the two, they'll expect perfection on both sides. I did find the following bit somewhat encouraging, however:

Quote:
Finally, while accurate work is important, graders will place more emphasis on the modeling process employed and how it is described and justified than they will on the correctness of the execution of the analysis.
I'm also concerned that they'll assume more SRM knowledge than was provided by the old VEE stats requirement (e.g. decision trees, clustering). Hopefully the modules will provide some background learning for these, although I'm sure those of us with transition credit will need to do SRM learning on our own as well.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 07-12-2018, 02:11 PM
SOA

College: MTA Alumnus

Quote:
I'm also concerned that they'll assume more SRM knowledge than was provided by the old VEE stats requirement (e.g. decision trees, clustering). Hopefully the modules will provide some background learning for these, although I'm sure those of us with transition credit will need to do SRM learning on our own as well.
*First time poster, long time lurker*

Do you have a plan to take care of this additional SRM knowledge? Or are you just going to wait until the PA module is released before taking action? Based on your profile, I think we are in a similar spot with these exams and hope to write PA in December (I am finishing up the EOM7 now and plan to write my FA in August, all other prelim exams completed). I am considering purchasing the ACTEX SRM study manual as a high level review of important topics. I would not go through the manual as if I were taking the exam, but just making sure I understand the concepts and techniques that are introduced. Any thoughts on this approach?

Hoping to make some progress on this ASAP so I have plenty of time to go through the PA module. I have basically no experience in R/RStudio so I think it could be a little slower for me.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:35 PM
SOA

Default Exam PA

Now that the syllabus is released, people in my company are talking about how to update our exam program study time, raise, and bonus schedules for exam PA. Is anyone able to say what your company is doing? Are they treating it as a regular exam where study time and compensation are concerned?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:58 PM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Nebraska (alma mater)
Favorite beer: Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerdPigeon View Post

Do you have a plan to take care of this additional SRM knowledge? Or are you just going to wait until the PA module is released before taking action? Based on your profile, I think we are in a similar spot with these exams and hope to write PA in December (I am finishing up the EOM7 now and plan to write my FA in August, all other prelim exams completed). I am considering purchasing the ACTEX SRM study manual as a high level review of important topics. I would not go through the manual as if I were taking the exam, but just making sure I understand the concepts and techniques that are introduced. Any thoughts on this approach?

Hoping to make some progress on this ASAP so I have plenty of time to go through the PA module. I have basically no experience in R/RStudio so I think it could be a little slower for me.
I know Coaching Actuaries has opened up their SRM Adapt. But I wouldn't be ready for that point since I never learned the material. I would prefer to use ASM since I've used it for the past 5 exams and I'm used to it. But ActuarialBookstore says it's not available until 8/15. That might end up being ok for me if I take a month to learn R and go through some PA modules then bounce over to SRM.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:08 PM
SOA

Studying for PA
College: BU Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerdPigeon View Post

Yeah, it sounds like we are in very similar spots. I've passed all VEEs, the original five prelims, and passed or submitted all FAP work except the FA. I am planning to take the FA from 08/10 to 08/13 (I'd prefer to write it sooner, but personal and work timelines are making me wait). If you're planning to write the FA that weekend maybe we could start a Google group and bounce ideas off each other!

My current plan for this exam is to register for PA modules as soon as they come out and then go from there. If the PA modules assume (but don't provide) a lot of SRM knowledge, I'll probably get the recommended SRM textbooks and work from those. I'm hesitant to get a manual because they tend to "teach to the test" rather than covering the concepts more deeply. Again, all of this is tentative; if the PA modules appear sufficient I might stick to those alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewise View Post
Now that the syllabus is released, people in my company are talking about how to update our exam program study time, raise, and bonus schedules for exam PA. Is anyone able to say what your company is doing? Are they treating it as a regular exam where study time and compensation are concerned?
Without giving too much away: my company is treating the reward for a PA pass similarly to the more "advanced" prelims (IFM, LTAM, STAM). Interestingly, the reward for an SRM pass is higher than for a PA pass. No word has been released concerning study time changes.

FAP: 1 2 3 4 5 IA 6 7 8 FA

VEE: Econ Finance Stats
Old 07-12-2018, 06:23 PM
SOA

Studying for everything

My company is giving a 4k pay raise + 2.5k cash bonus for SRM (same as MLC) and a 2.5k pay raise + 1.25k cash bonus for PA (so slightly less than C but more than MFE)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:57 PM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Got the pass for MLC today! So I will be joining the guinea pig group for PA in December, hopefully they don't go too hard on us!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts75 View Post
Got the pass for MLC today! So I will be joining the guinea pig group for PA in December, hopefully they don't go too hard on us!
This is my plan too. I have a good amount of R experience, but only a little bit of it is in regression. My company still has PA exam study hours / pay raise structure TBD...

Also, I just realized the exam is the week I get back from a 2+ week vacation. I have a feeling I won't be as relaxed on my vacation as I previously thought, but maybe I'll be able to over-prepare so it's not too bad.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:01 AM
SOA

Anyone have any idea about when the ASM manual will be available and whether or not it will include SRM materials for people who took the gosh darn VEE very very long ago?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:03 AM
SOA

Studying for PA, FAP
College: Swarthmore College (BA Mathematics), Villanova University (MS Applied Stat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts75 View Post
Congratulations--passing MLC is a major coup!

Insofar as I care about PA's difficulty, I only request that the directions and prompts are clearly written and the margins for multiple/incorrect interpretation are minimal. FAP is a disaster in this regard, but at least FAP affords us time to spell out If interpretation x_i, then solution y_i. And please don't make me spend half my time formatting tables that don't fit on the response document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMathNotMeth
Quote:
Finally, while accurate work is important, graders will place more emphasis on the modeling process employed and how it is described and justified than they will on the correctness of the execution of the analysis.
This is music to my ears--thank you for sharing!

Good luck, all!

VEE: Statistics | Finance | Economics

FAP: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | IA | 6 | 7 | FA

Conferences: APC