Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 PM

Default Build a bear for your age in $ or not

Great thought? Or did someone not think so many people would come?
http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...mid-chaos.html
Quote:
Build-A-Bear Workshop was forced to stop accepting customers for its “Pay Your Age” sale on Thursday after thousands of eager children and their parents flocked to stores across the United States, creating chaos that even authorities couldn’t control.

The toy company said local authorities had forced locations to limit the number of people in line after massive crowds gathering outside stores, including in malls, caused safety concerns.
But some others thought of something.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:53 PM
SOA AAA

I saw the deal yesterday and immediately thought "This will be a cluster ****!" What people will do for discounts is nuts. I remember swinging by Blaze Pizza on Pi Day when they were having $3.14 pizzas and seeing a line that would easily take 1.5-2 hours to get through. I didn't think twice and went elsewhere. Seriously, they are $8 pizzas. Is $5 worth it to stand in line for 2 hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS
Old 07-12-2018, 05:58 PM
SOA AAA

Probably not as pandemonial as free turkeys dropped from a helicopter.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Probably not as pandemonial as free turkeys dropped from a helicopter.
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:30 AM
CAS

My wife was all excited for this. Showed up and was told the wait was 5 hours! Ended up going someplace else for a toy since my daughter was hyped.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols4Prez View Post
I saw the deal yesterday and immediately thought "This will be a cluster ****!" What people will do for discounts is nuts. I remember swinging by Blaze Pizza on Pi Day when they were having $3.14 pizzas and seeing a line that would easily take 1.5-2 hours to get through. I didn't think twice and went elsewhere. Seriously, they are $8 pizzas. Is $5 worth it to stand in line for 2 hours?
Yeah, wife told me about it and was thinking about doing it. I told her it was going to be a shitshow and not to subject herself to that with a young child. We can get one for full price another time.

Wife wondered how BaB people thought it was going to go smoothly. Umm....they didn't. If you and I could predict how much of a cluster**** it would be then I think the people running the company can. But do you know how many people forgot BaB existed that now don't? Or how many full price bears they will sell when they go back to get their kid that new bear he/she is now hyped on and find out they lost their voucher?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
...they hit the ground like bags of wet cement!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols4Prez View Post

People consistently devalue their own time.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 07-13-2018, 12:10 PM

Studying for a field sobriety test
Favorite beer: Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post

People consistently devalue their own time.
You may be over-estimating what they would otherwise do with that time. Plus there's the story of that time you waited X hours for Y deal!

I would never do it myself, but I knew someone who would tell you how great the deals she got were and would brag about how long she had to wait to get them. Knowing she would have just sat on the couch watching TV made it seem less sad.

Best one was when she bragged about the deal she got on a sweater. Then she gave the sweater to her niece for Christmas. Her niece ran into my girlfriend at the time while they were both wearing the sweater, and my girlfriend goes "Oh tell me you got the deal when the sweater only cost $2.50 at Old Navy!"