Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytcs Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 05-14-2018, 10:28 AM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110PercentWahoo View Post
You guys had an utterly ridiculous exam compared to the one I took last Spring (2017). The difference a year can make, wow. The INV extension seemed particularly rough.
it's all about "relative" performance though.

they will never fail 80% of a sitting.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtav View Post
Any idea when passing candidates will be released?
Passing candidate numbers will be released on Friday, July 13. (yes, Friday the 13th...)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:53 PM
SOA

Now that my account has finally been verified, I can provide my two cents....

That exam was awful!!! I don't think the graders would be able to hand write the answers straight from the answer key in under 4 hours. It was completely ridiculous.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryinAction View Post
Now that my account has finally been verified, I can provide my two cents....

That exam was awful!!! I don't think the graders would be able to hand write the answers straight from the answer key in under 4 hours. It was completely ridiculous.
So what were the challenges?
What could you have done better to prepare?
DMAC
FAC
Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viki2011 View Post
So what were the challenges?
What could you have done better to prepare?
Time constraint was the biggest problem, I felt like I understood the material well enough to pass. I should have timed myself and completely wrote out answers while doing practice problems from past exams.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActuaryinAction View Post
Time constraint was the biggest problem, I felt like I understood the material well enough to pass. I should have timed myself and completely wrote out answers while doing practice problems from past exams.
This is very good advice! The #1 issue I hear is time constraint, and it's usually not even close. If we all had 50 hours to take the exam, we'd all pass with flying colors, but it is specifically designed to be about 10% too much material for the time, so we have to rush a decent amount. And the best way to get used to that is to try the past exams in a "real world" situation with a time limit.

Also, I got myself a $10 watch from the gas station, and I put it on while I do practice exams. When I start a problem, I make a quick note of the number of points, what the time currently is, and I figure out when I am moving on from the current problem. You have at most 3 minutes per point. So, with a 4 point problem, I know I'm moving on in 12 minutes at the most. Having a watch saves me a bit of time from looking up to whatever crappy clock they have in the room that you're taking the exam.

And you should consider the 3 minute per point limit a HARD limit. When your time is up, move on. Countless students have told me about how they would hit the limit, but then figured they'd just take another minute or two to wrap up, then all of the sudden you've run out of time and have to leave a question blank, and blank questions kill your exam. If you have extra time, you can always go back and finish up later, but it's hard to get that time back.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Fall 2018

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample
Old 07-06-2018, 10:02 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulP View Post
This is very good advice! The #1 issue I hear is time constraint, and it's usually not even close. If we all had 50 hours to take the exam, we'd all pass with flying colors, but it is specifically designed to be about 10% too much material for the time, so we have to rush a decent amount. And the best way to get used to that is to try the past exams in a "real world" situation with a time limit.

Also, I got myself a $10 watch from the gas station, and I put it on while I do practice exams. When I start a problem, I make a quick note of the number of points, what the time currently is, and I figure out when I am moving on from the current problem. You have at most 3 minutes per point. So, with a 4 point problem, I know I'm moving on in 12 minutes at the most. Having a watch saves me a bit of time from looking up to whatever crappy clock they have in the room that you're taking the exam.

And you should consider the 3 minute per point limit a HARD limit. When your time is up, move on. Countless students have told me about how they would hit the limit, but then figured they'd just take another minute or two to wrap up, then all of the sudden you've run out of time and have to leave a question blank, and blank questions kill your exam. If you have extra time, you can always go back and finish up later, but it's hard to get that time back.
I agree with everything you say here. For me, if I read a practice problem and knew the answer in my head, it felt tedious and like a waste of time to write it out completely. I now realize that was a mistake, and practicing dealing with the time constraint is almost as important as knowing the material.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:08 AM
SOA

Studying for ERM Exam
College: College of the Holy Cross '13

Just a few more days. How is everyone feeling?
FSA Modules
ERM Exam
DMAC
FAC
Old 07-12-2018, 06:26 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhadd13 View Post
Just a few more days. How is everyone feeling?
Incredibly nervous over here.

I did not feel well leaving the exam, but then again I left MLC having no idea if I passed or failed but I did really well on it.

I'm considering not even looking until late afternoon so I can leave if the results don't go my way.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM
SOA

Studying for ERM, CFE, SDM

In my experience, all the FSA exams are tough to get a "feel" for after you leave the room. Sometimes you can tell if you aced it or if you completely bombed it, but the area in the middle is going to capture 90% of the exam takers.

But the time is getting close! The website says 9:00AM CT tomorrow, then we can all move on to whatever is next. Good luck either way!

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for CFE/SDM/ERM Fall 2018

SDM: Sample
CFE: Sample
ERM: Sample