Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

View Poll Results: Most difficult prelim
P 66 4.93%
FM 19 1.42%
MLC 349 26.04%
MFE 240 17.91%
C 622 46.42%
Course 42 44 3.28%
Voters: 1340. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2008, 04:44 PM
CAS AAA

College: University of Chicago Alumnus

When I took the prelims, M was the hardest. This was before the loss models was moved to C.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM
SOA AAA

From easiest to hardest:
FM - I took the 2 hour 25 question pre-derivative format
MFE - I took the 2nd offering of this
P - Current form
C - Current form
MLC - Current form

To give them a degree of difficulty, with more <'s meaning greater difference in difficulty
FM<<MFE<<<<P<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<C<MLC
Old 07-06-2008, 07:03 PM

After going through both MFE and MLC material I would say MFE is more difficult. Sure MLC is longer but the material is much easier to master. MFE seems to be underestimated and underappreciated by everyone but the SOA. My job gives 5 days for mfe and 13 days for FM. Seriously, wtf? Meanwhile, the SOA is busy dreaming up new undoable problems for mfe. The soa should just officially make MFE a separte exam instead of having it parade as the ugly step sister of MLC when they have nothing in common.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:08 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOne View Post
After going through both MFE and MLC material I would say MFE is more difficult. Sure MLC is longer but the material is much easier to master. MFE seems to be underestimated and underappreciated by everyone but the SOA. My job gives 5 days for mfe and 13 days for FM. Seriously, wtf? Meanwhile, the SOA is busy dreaming up new undoable problems for mfe. The soa should just officially make MFE a separte exam instead of having it parade as the ugly step sister of MLC when they have nothing in common.
I approve of this postage.

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.
So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it. --jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics --jas66kent
Old 07-09-2008, 12:41 PM
SOA

Studying for VEE Stats
Favorite beer: Obsidian Stout

If you were just looking at the syllabus for MFE and MLC and had not taken both exams or if you happen to have been lucky and you took the Spring 2007 MFE exam, you probably would think MLC would be much harder than MFE. However, I found the actual MFE test to be much harder than MLC. I took both exams in Fall 2007 and thought I would pass MFE and fail MLC--the exact opposite happened. The MFE exam I took this last sitting was the most difficult exam that I've taken.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:08 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
i was amazed at the P and the MFE votes. I mean really it has to be MLC or C right?

BTW for all you ancient folk, back when it was just exam M that was clearly the hardest right?
Not at all. I haven't seen MLC or MFE but there was probably just less material on it. The topics were hard but somehow much easier than exam 4 (C now).
Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bühlmann View Post
Remember the Course 2 sitting that had a 25% passrate in May of 2004?
I got a 2 on that sitting.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 AM
SOA

Studying for those FAP modules

P<<FM<<<<<MLC<<<<<<C

Still MFE to do.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE and FAP

I think the reasons that MFE is the toughest are:

a) The fact that there are no example problems to go off of, therefore you have no idea what to study.

b) There is no study guide that is dialed in yet because every exam has been completely different from the prior. So when a study guide dials in Brownian Motion and Ito's Lemma and everyone focuses on those topics, there are only 2 questions on the next sitting and the SOA takes a different topic to focus on.

c) When the SOA makes the questions for the exams they will pull some of the most abstact ideas out and then twist them around. The questions are far harder than the few sample problems that are provided by the SOA. This gives you even more of a false sense of security.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Note Contributor

Studying for GHC/DMAC
College: PSU '07
Favorite beer: Oskar Blues Old Chub Scotch Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by merby View Post
I think the reasons that MFE is the toughest are:

a) The fact that there are no example problems to go off of, therefore you have no idea what to study.

b) There is no study guide that is dialed in yet because every exam has been completely different from the prior. So when a study guide dials in Brownian Motion and Ito's Lemma and everyone focuses on those topics, there are only 2 questions on the next sitting and the SOA takes a different topic to focus on.

c) When the SOA makes the questions for the exams they will pull some of the most abstact ideas out and then twist them around. The questions are far harder than the few sample problems that are provided by the SOA. This gives you even more of a false sense of security.
Blah, I completely agree.