Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Seal View Post
Personal opinion: you sound douch-ey and/or incompetent if you do either of these things.

Other favorites of mine include writing an entire email in the subject line and writing "u" and "thx" in what's supposed to be formal communication.
I have close coworkers who won't usually read my emails if I don't put the whole email in the subject line. They get so many emails per day, and usually mine aren't that important (cc's, or fyi but the email doesn't require action) so mine are last to be read. If it's actually important, gotta say why in the subject line to catch his eye.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:33 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

Just use a 7 instead of ? when it's clear you don't want them to think about the answer.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
Every option is wrong.
To answer your question: yes?
Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
What is wrong with you people.
Who's on first.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
I have close coworkers who won't usually read my emails if I don't put the whole email in the subject line. They get so many emails per day, and usually mine aren't that important (cc's, or fyi but the email doesn't require action) so mine are last to be read. If it's actually important, gotta say why in the subject line to catch his eye.
Just wondering - do your coworkers sit far away and are different offices or something? At my current employer, I get a lot of emails like this and a large part of it is that the team is in multiple offices and remote at times.

At previous companies, I didn't have much email, and if I wanted to ask a trivial question, I could just say it out loud without leaving my cube and someone close by would answer it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Had an old boss like that, if I didn't start the subject with "Please Read" chances are he'd ignore it. Kind of annoying but he would reply to the please read so it worked out.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Who are you calling "you people".
Who are YOU calling "you people".
Old 07-04-2018, 02:52 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Just wondering - do your coworkers sit far away and are different offices or something? At my current employer, I get a lot of emails like this and a large part of it is that the team is in multiple offices and remote at times.

At previous companies, I didn't have much email, and if I wanted to ask a trivial question, I could just say it out loud without leaving my cube and someone close by would answer it.
A mix of local and different offices, also a good amount of travel. Plus people in meetings a lot and not always at their desks. Or I work with a lot of non actuaries who are in my office but on a different floor, sometimes we call or walk and see them but a lot of times it's email. My immediate team mostly sits near me but only a small portion of my email is with my immediate team.

With this person in particular there are a lot of things he prefers to be cc'ed on that aren't usually important but that are good to have a copy of in case I'm out of office and it comes up. But if it's something important that warrants a response I usually need to flag it for him.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:40 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Grammar Zombie, I need your help. Is it acceptable to end an interrogative sentence with a period. I don't personally do it, but this practice seems pervasive in business email.

Can you send me the Schedule P data.
Are you doing a full analysis this quarter.
Where are we going for lunch.
Did you get the memo about the TPS report cover letter.
Quote:
I've noticed the same thing happening with imperative statements, followed by an interrogation point.

Let me know if you have any questions?
Update the Triangles?
Send me the 3rd quarter data?

What gives.
Neither of these are acceptable. I rarely see these and when I do I assume they are mistakes and not some newly acceptable thing.

Part of me thinks you just (in 2012) learned terms interrogative and imperative and wanted to show off.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 08-01-2018, 12:57 AM
CAS

Quote:
In the late 1500s, the English printer Henry Denham proposed using a reverse question mark, ⸮, called a PERCONTATION POINT to indicate that a question was rhetorical and so didnít require an answer.
https://twitter.com/haggardhawks/sta...918631937?s=21