Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 02-13-2018, 03:08 PM
CAS

College: 1st year

The Mahler Practice Exams. 10 short 20 question ones and 9 full length ones. Something like that.

....his manual is also good, but 5k pages is a bit much imo. ASM gets the job done quicker.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:49 PM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni - George Washington University

I used the 10 short Practice Exams and 1 full length. I intended to do all 9 of the full length, but ran short on time. I also has his manual, but as @Outsanity said, it is very long. I only referred to it when I was unsure of a topic. It is VERY in depth, so I recommend it if you are starting from scratch. If you have a base idea of the material and concepts, his solutions are in depth enough that you do not need it.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:23 PM
SOA

College: AU
Favorite beer: bankston 88

awesome. I thought most of you were talking about his exams but I figured I'd ask.

the beautiful thing about his exams is that they're only $60

Old 02-13-2018, 05:49 PM
SOA

Failed this one yesterday. Ditching TIA/Adapt and going with Mahler after 3 weeks or so break to regroup. I feel like there are some drastic changes to C after June so this will be my best shot
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 PM
CAS

College: 1st year

Yeah, spend 2 weeks with Mahler PEs. Not going to lie: it might be the worst two weeks of your entire study session, but I feel like nothing can prepare you more than Mahler's practice exams.

Some of Mahler's questions are insane and some of the calculations are just not worth doing, but pay special attention to questions that were derived from SOA 307 and pay attention to concepts/points. (For example, there was a Gaussian Distribution question that would take about half an hour to solve, but the point of the question is to remind you that its theta is not a scale parameter)
Old 02-18-2018, 04:46 PM
SOA

Is there any sort of mapping out there for the SOA 307 questions by topic. I want to start doing problems as I go through the material but it's becoming to annoying to go through each problem to look for one on a certain topic?
Old 02-18-2018, 05:09 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for Predictive Analytics& FAP
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLemmy4 View Post
Is there any sort of mapping out there for the SOA 307 questions by topic. I want to start doing problems as I go through the material but it's becoming to annoying to go through each problem to look for one on a certain topic?
Yes I believe ASM gives you all that mapping
Advanced:FAP, PA
Seminar: APC
Old 02-18-2018, 11:59 PM
SOA

Default Lost...

I started studying for the June sitting at the start of this month and so far I have no idea what is going on. I have spent a good 60 hours and only retained about 3% of what I have "learned". A total joke.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:05 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone View Post
I started studying for the June sitting at the start of this month and so far I have no idea what is going on. I have spent a good 60 hours and only retained about 3% of what I have "learned". A total joke.
Probably because you're trying to stuff too many things at once in your brain. The second and third pass of your study material will go a lot faster and smoother.

The material in C is pretty easy to understand, and June is still 4 months away.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Just finished first section of ASM manual: Severity, frequency and Aggregate Loss. Tried to do each and every example, quiz and end of the section exercise.

As per CA study schedule I am about 10 days behind assuming 60 days for practice exams.

Was curious how everyone else is doing?