Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM
SOA

Default New TIA R Course available now!

The Infinite Actuary (TIA) has just released the R Course. Over 5 hours of content, 70 video lessons, and four actuarial projects to apply R and R Studio.

http://www.theinfiniteactuary.com/R

This R course was created for actuaries of all levels to build their skillset in this space. This R course also covers topics expected on the SOA's upcoming Predictive Analytics Exam, which requires experience in R. For this course you are not required to have experience in R since we start from the ground up. Unlike other software training courses, the R course has a distinct actuarial focus taught by an FSA actuary. The R course takes a practical approach using four modules, which each contain lectures, an actuarial project, and video solutions to that project.

Modules Included:

+ R foundational knowledge. Learn the basics of R including reading data in, working with vectors, matrices, and data frames.
+ Data Cleanup in R. Learn how to handle missing data, implement impute methods, and filter your dataset.
+ Data Visualization and Exploratory Analysis using R. Learn how to create stunning visualizations via the ggplot2 package. You'll make all sorts of charts and use color to highlight trends in your data. You will explore your data visually to make your predictive models stronger.
+ Predictive Analytics Machine Learning using R. Learn how to split your data to train and test your predictive model. Create various machine learning models including linear regression, stepwise regression, generalized linear regression (GLM), and logistic regression.

Plus you get LIFETIME access. Hope to see you in the new R course offered by TIA.

Last edited by Roger_TIA; 01-17-2018 at 12:58 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 12:41 AM
CAS

Mr Rosales:

Other than ggplot2, which packages are used in your course, or do you just stick to "base" R?

In what way(s) is your course superior to the many free options available for learning R?

Thank you,
Marcie
Old 01-17-2018, 12:44 AM
CAS

PS. In how many different sub-fora did you post this?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
Mr Rosales:

Other than ggplot2, which packages are used in your course, or do you just stick to "base" R?

In what way(s) is your course superior to the many free options available for learning R?

Thank you,
Marcie
Hi Marcie,

We go over ggplot2, tidyr, dplyr to name a few.
I would say this course differs from other options by being specifically made for actuaries with actuarial projects. Plus TIA has a designated forum for this course where we can all interact and learn R together.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
PS. In how many different sub-fora did you post this?
Just two spots: the preliminary exams general area for actuarial students and the software/technology area for the fellows/career ASAs/actuarial analysts, etc. Thanks for your interest in the R course.

Last edited by Roger_TIA; 01-17-2018 at 01:01 AM..
Old 01-17-2018, 08:07 PM
SOA

College: UWI

Would you say this course will fully prepare someone for Predictive Analytics Exam?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePolo View Post
Would you say this course will fully prepare someone for Predictive Analytics Exam?
Hi
Nobody really knows what the predictive analytics exam will look like yet. With that said, this R course covers topics expected on the SOA's upcoming Predictive Analytics Exam, which requires experience in R.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM
SOA

I have no experience with R, so am thinking of taking this course in prep for the PA exam. However, I'm wondering if I should wait for when an official "PA course" is offered. Do you (TIA) have any idea what structure that course would have? Would it include everything covered here? I don't want to end up buying both if I don't need to.

I anticipate that I'd need at least some additional study material for the PA exam since I have transition credit for exam SRM, which likely leaves me with some "holes".
Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

At this point I canít tell you much more than that I would like for us to have a course to help people prepare specifically for the PA exam. We are all still waiting for the SOA to complete its release of the materials for PA. I donít expect to have anything for PA for the first sitting in December.

It isnít beyond the realm of possibility that the current R course could be included as a part of that future PA product, and if that were to happen, I would expect that the upgrade price would discount the PA course by however much you paid for the R course. If the current R course doesnít get included into the PA course, I would still be more than happy to offer a discount of some kind to users of the R course.

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 04-26-2018, 02:05 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
At this point I canít tell you much more than that I would like for us to have a course to help people prepare specifically for the PA exam. We are all still waiting for the SOA to complete its release of the materials for PA. I donít expect to have anything for PA for the first sitting in December.

It isnít beyond the realm of possibility that the current R course could be included as a part of that future PA product, and if that were to happen, I would expect that the upgrade price would discount the PA course by however much you paid for the R course. If the current R course doesnít get included into the PA course, I would still be more than happy to offer a discount of some kind to users of the R course.
Thanks.

I'm still working on figuring out what my next move is.