Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Probability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Probability Old Exam P Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 04:48 PM
SOA

Default New Video Course (free formula sheets)

Course page: http://www.probabilityexam.com

I am extremely proud and excited to release this new video course teaching everything on the syllabus for Exam 1/P.

As a gift to this community, code ďaopromoĒ will apply a 20% discount valid through May 19!

Not sure if itís right for you?
Please download the free formula sheets with complete coverage of the syllabus and watch the 5 free sample videos.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me: michael.mastroianni@probabilityexam.com

Course Contents
ē Formula sheets (no purchase necessary)
ē 6-month access to stream video lessons covering the syllabus with video solutions to many original practice problems

Why did I create this?

When I was taking the preliminary exams, I used many video courses along the way. None of them met all of my expectations so I set out to make one that would. This is it and I hope those who use it feel the same way.

The material on Exam 1/P is arguably the most important to master both for the other preliminary exams and to be a competent actuary. This is only amplified with upcoming curriculum changes. Itís crucial to choose the best resources to learn from.

What makes these videos better?

Accurate: Thereís nothing more frustrating than having to catch an instructorís mistakes when youíre trying to learn something for the first time! These lessons were carefully constructed and peer reviewed to ensure accuracy and eliminate typos.

Concise: Youíre busy. Thatís why videos are appealing. You donít want long winded improvised explanations. These lessons and problem videos are packed with valuable information and lack redundancy to maximize your efficiency. Every minute of every video has a purpose: to teach you something new and useful. I donít waste your time.

Results are supported: Youíll truly understand and believe the results because I substantiate them. Iíve spent years determining the most efficient and convincing way to support each result without any loss of precision. The benefits to this approach are numerous and include:

1. Saving time studying - you donít need to work as many practice problems when you understand the concepts better because youíre not solely depending on familiarity to get the right answers on exam day.

2. Greater confidence - thereís no reason to second guess yourself when you can reason out the results youíre using. Being calm and confident on exams translates to better scores. Youíre also more likely to see applications of these concepts to your work as an actuary.

3. Greater retention - when things make sense, they stick with you and thatís important when you take other exams or need them at work.

Multiple solutions to practice problems: I will often provide 2 or even 3 different solutions to practice problems. This increases your confidence in using approaches that are less natural to you. This can save you time if one approach is quicker or reduce your chance of making a mistake if you have time to use multiple approaches on the same problem.

If you use my formula sheets or videos please consider posting what you think in this thread, in a comment on the course page or send me an email. Iíd love to hear from you.

Good luck with your studies!
Old 07-06-2018, 08:10 AM
SOA

Some quick updates about the course:

ē The free formula sheets have been updated to include a small section for probability generating functions
ē A lesson has been added covering probability generating functions
ē A practice exam has been added with video solutions which are currently all free to watch on the course page

NOTE: The topic of probability generating functions was first added to the Exam P syllabus for the September 2018 sitting. Students taking the exam in July can skip this lesson and ignore this section on the formula sheets.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Youngstown State University Alumni
Default Great Course!

I started using this video series to get ready for Exam P back in May 2018. I have a very weak stats/probability background, but the material was presented in a great way making it easy to follow and learn. There's just enough theory to appreciate if that's something you enjoy and plenty of examples and material necessary to pass the exam.

Each lesson will take about an hour or two depending on how much you rewind, take notes, work on problems, etc... so it should only take about two months to work through it at a casual pace.

Compared to some of the other online courses you can go through, this one is a good price and very good quality.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by iclim View Post
I started using this video series to get ready for Exam P back in May 2018. I have a very weak stats/probability background, but the material was presented in a great way making it easy to follow and learn. There's just enough theory to appreciate if that's something you enjoy and plenty of examples and material necessary to pass the exam.

Each lesson will take about an hour or two depending on how much you rewind, take notes, work on problems, etc... so it should only take about two months to work through it at a casual pace.

Compared to some of the other online courses you can go through, this one is a good price and very good quality.
It means the world to me to get this feedback. You're the first person to be so kind to share your experience publicly on this forum and I really appreciate how thoughtful your review is.

Thank you for trusting me with your study time! It is a big deal to me for someone to spend so much time with content I created and especially satisfying that you felt it was of high quality.