Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 03-29-2018, 02:39 PM
SOA

Default July 2018 IFM Exam

Will this forum remain for the MFE replacement or is there a successor forum out there? Figure I would just leave this here just in case this remains the gathering point (possible to re-name this forum?).
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 AM

Anyone figure what resources to use for this sitting ? Im still on the border if im going to take it for this sitting depending on time, adequate study material and time lol
Old 04-03-2018, 11:56 AM
Non-Actuary

I'm using the ASM manual and I'll probably get ADAPT when I'm further along. I've been falling into some procrastination lately though.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM

Leofwyen, how is ASM Manual ? Is it explaining the material in understandable detail? are the problems helpful towards the given exam practice problems ?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofwyen View Post
I'm using the ASM manual and I'll probably get ADAPT when I'm further along. I've been falling into some procrastination lately though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeedrinkerr View Post
Leofwyen, how is ASM Manual ? Is it explaining the material in understandable detail? are the problems helpful towards the given exam practice problems ?
I am using ASM as well, and I feel in the same boat as you. I think most of it is way AW delivers the material - feels a bit more intuitive than I can pick up right away. I should have learned my lesson with the MLC ASM manual. I am debating supplementing this with ADAPT.

Anyone else feel this way regarding ASM? Any advice on how to absorb the material more efficiently?
Old 04-03-2018, 02:28 PM

Im thinking of taking a different approach for this exam with the CA video package to learn the material then adapt. Bit steep but could be worth it if it helps me expedite learning in the timeframe ill most likely have. Still gauging every angle right now tho

Has anyone gone this route and shed some light ?
Old 04-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Non-Actuary

I like the problems in ASM but I definitely have needed to use google on a number of the concepts. The problems in ASM are really good, but the explanation is kind of hard to understand sometimes. I'm trying to push myself through it pretty quickly since I feel like I learn better from the ADAPT videos. I've thought about buying the video packages before but I just can't bring myself to drop the $$$
Old 04-03-2018, 09:21 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Just in case you haven't heard, if you are a student, we offer a 50% student discount for our Exam IFM study bundle, which consists of the online manual, video lessons, and Adapt. The study bundle is also available for different subscription lengths.

Some of our video lessons for the new exam material are still in the works (see the release schedule here), but our Online Manual currently covers the entire exam syllabus, and we have more than 1,000 practice questions available in Adapt.

All the best!

Last edited by tkt; 04-03-2018 at 09:24 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 01:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leofwyen View Post
Same here. I'm using the ASM manual but supplementing it with the required books (Derivatives Markets + Corporate Finance + SOA study notes) as some explanations seem a bit confusing if you're not familiar with the concepts. I'll use ADAPT once done with the exercises in ASM.
Predictive Analytics
Old 04-12-2018, 04:57 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeedrinkerr View Post
Im thinking of taking a different approach for this exam with the CA video package to learn the material then adapt. Bit steep but could be worth it if it helps me expedite learning in the timeframe ill most likely have. Still gauging every angle right now tho

Has anyone gone this route and shed some light ?
I'm currently using the CA package (manual + video + ADAPT). So far I feel the material is easy to follow, which allows me to go through the content faster (I didn't use CA manual for FM/P and I can tell the difference - it took me much more time to finish learning all concepts). Agree that it's steep though.
Will update more after I take the exam this July