Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:01 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Blue Moon (prefer single malt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torene View Post
I used a little bit of everything. I had a TIA extension from my previous sitting, and I used that for learning the material and ADAPT for practice exams and problems. I rented the Corporate Finance book from Amazon and printed out the SOA provided study notes. I also ran through the sample problems the SOA provided.

I got up to a 5.2 on ADAPT, which I feel was pretty comparable to the test in terms of difficulty.
Did you get as many straight knowledge questions as it seems like people are anticipating?

Mod instruction (reminder about SOA rules for CBT exams): For anyone contemplating responding, do not post anything content-related during the exam window. Even a "yes" or "no" answer would be too much information during the exam window.

Last edited by Moderator1; 07-06-2018 at 05:34 PM..
Old 07-06-2018, 03:40 PM
SOA

Studying for IFM
College: University of Iowa

Got to an EL of 5.9 a couple of days ago, taking the exam tomorrow. Just an easy review day for me today, hoping tomorrow goes by smoothly! Surprisingly less stressed out for this exam than P and FM, maybe because of the fact I won't see if I passed or failed right away.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:38 PM
CAS

Studying for 3F
College: University of Nebraska at Omaha
Favorite beer: I'm too gay for beer

Got an EL of 5. Haven't been able to push it higher, the questions that are purely definition-based are killing me.

Going to do a shit ton of quizzes on those sections and do 3 or 4 more practice exams until my exam on Wednesday.

Can't wait to get this over with.

MAS-I, MAS-II, OC1, OC2, 5, 6, Course on Professionalism, 7, 8, 9
Old 07-09-2018, 12:39 PM
CAS

College: Michigan State University (Master)

I sat the exam Friday and started an hour and a half late due to technical issues and the formula sheet for the greeks was missing. Did anyone else who sat it experience the same problem(s)? I contacted the SOA about it but I'm curious as to whether it's a widespread or isolated issue (and also wondering what's likely to be done about it).
Old 07-09-2018, 01:12 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_anaLista View Post
I sat the exam Friday and started an hour and a half late due to technical issues and the formula sheet for the greeks was missing. Did anyone else who sat it experience the same problem(s)? I contacted the SOA about it but I'm curious as to whether it's a widespread or isolated issue (and also wondering what's likely to be done about it).
There's a discussion thread on this on Reddit as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/actuary/com...rmulas_on_ifm/
Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM
CAS

Studying for 3F

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkt View Post
There's a discussion thread on this on Reddit as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/actuary/com...rmulas_on_ifm/
It looks like it may have been fixed based of the reports in that thread. They like sent out a "patch".

I wonder what they'll do for the people that didn't have it. Probably nothing and just say "better luck next time".

Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsteinbach View Post
It looks like it may have been fixed based of the reports in that thread. They like sent out a "patch".

I wonder what they'll do for the people that didn't have it. Probably nothing and just say "better luck next time".
I think this will happen too. It's crazy how some people on reddit think that they are gonna have people retake the exam. It's pretty much Thursday/Friday takers against all of the other exam takers. They're gonna side with the ones who took it later since there is a greater dispersion of people taking it Saturday through Wednesday. Really sucks for the people who took the early date for a new exam.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
I think this will happen too. It's crazy how some people on reddit think that they are gonna have people retake the exam. It's pretty much Thursday/Friday takers against all of the other exam takers. They're gonna side with the ones who took it later since there is a greater dispersion of people taking it Saturday through Wednesday. Really sucks for the people who took the early date for a new exam.
To add on to this, I don't think the SOA should have updated the formulas on Saturday. It complicates the entire situation even more. The people who took it Saturday onward have an advantage. They could have just waited until all exam sittings were over then removed the questions associated with those formulas from the scoring. Now, if they actually do remove those questions, the people who took it Saturday onward would suffer. They actually spent exam time solving those problems thinking they would count. The Thursday/Friday takers could have spent that extra time doing other problems since they didn't have the formulas. On the other hand, if they don't remove those problems, the Thursday/Friday takers will have lower grades due to not having those formulas. C'mon SOA...
Old 07-09-2018, 09:36 PM
SOA

College: West Chester recent graduate

I think the best case scenario you can hope for is a refund to people who didn't pass from the earlier one. Especially if they were close. Retesting is unlikely
Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 PM
CAS

Studying for 3F

The SOA will just say "better luck next time, our mistake is your problem".