Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 04-02-2018, 12:45 PM
SOA

Default LTAM manual

I took college courses for MLC and have a manual from 4+ years ago. I was wondering if, to you guys, it is worth purchasing the new LTAM ASM manual to be best prepared? I don't want to study extraneous material that was removed, and also want to ensure I cover all new topics.

Alternatively, what manual or study material do you plan on using or think is best for this first-time exam?

I have a BaII plus calculator and also a TIXS-30 multiview. I assume the former is best for this exam?

I do plan on eventually using ADAPT once I am through all material, FYI.

Last edited by NovaNation; 04-02-2018 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: edit for calculator Q
Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The ones in red solo cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaNation View Post
I don't want to study extraneous material that was removed, and also want to ensure I cover all new topics.
I think you answered your own question on whether or not you should buy a new manual.

I'm personally going to buy a Coaching Actuaries package for LTAM that comes with an ASM manual as well as videos. No one knows which manual is the 'best' for the sitting since it's a completely new exam. I have found that CA is very responsive and updates their material and answers questions frequently.

Also, most people use the multiview calculator for MLC. They only use the BAII on certain problems that can be solved more quickly using that calculator.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:25 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: UALR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeAnActuaryOrNotToBe View Post
I think you answered your own question on whether or not you should buy a new manual.

I'm personally going to buy a Coaching Actuaries package for LTAM that comes with an ASM manual as well as videos. No one knows which manual is the 'best' for the sitting since it's a completely new exam. I have found that CA is very responsive and updates their material and answers questions frequently.

Also, most people use the multiview calculator for MLC. They only use the BAII on certain problems that can be solved more quickly using that calculator.
I think that Coaching Actuaries doesn't use the ASM manual for LTAM, but instead has their own manual. I'm currently working through it and using Adapt as homework, and so far, I really like it.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbaxfan View Post
I think that Coaching Actuaries doesn't use the ASM manual for LTAM, but instead has their own manual. I'm currently working through it and using Adapt as homework, and so far, I really like it.
Is the CA manual digital only? It is important that I get a print version, personally. Thanks!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzrbaxfan View Post
That's strange. Haven't actually bought the package yet. I remember the other prelims for CA came with ASM manuals. Will probably buy the package either way.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Is the CA manual digital only? It is important that I get a print version, personally. Thanks!
From what I see online, looks like it only a digital version. CA has not completed the manual yet, so they are releasing the manual in chunks. Get a $50 Kindle or something. I usually can only read using a physical book since I like holding the pages, and it's easier on my eyes. Kindles are great though.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:18 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

Quote:
That's strange. Haven't actually bought the package yet. I remember the other prelims for CA came with ASM manuals. Will probably buy the package either way.
I think CA is moving away from the ASM manual and creating their own content. Their philosophy is to get students through the material quickly in order to begin practicing problems, so each section is very brief and only has a handful of examples.

It's straight and to the point, and definitely gets the abbreviated version of each concept across, but might not be sufficient on its own for some people. If you take a look at their LTAM trial (I think chapter 1 is available as a trial) you'll probably see what I mean.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:18 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM
College: UALR

Quote:
I am pretty happy with it. I started working in an ASM MLC manual waiting for LTAM manuals to come out. When I found out that CA was coming out with their own manual, I got a free version of it (chapter 1 stuff) and really liked the format of it compared to ASM. Once I got the full manual, I got an adapt subscription too. The CA manual has no homework in it. It is assumed that you'll get adapt and punch out quizzes for homework. I've been keeping the quizzes to level 4 or less for now and I'm about half way done.

There is no print version, but each section could be saved as a PDF or printed as you wish.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:34 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I took college courses for MLC and have a manual from 4+ years ago. I was wondering if, to you guys, it is worth purchasing the new LTAM ASM manual to be best prepared? I don't want to study extraneous material that was removed, and also want to ensure I cover all new topics.
Over the last 4 years, the pension portion of MLC was expanded considerably. Pension plans are now 10-15% of the syllabus, and virtually all questions on pension are on topics not on the syllabus in 2014.

LTAM adds several new topics. It is hard to estimate the proportion of the exam that will test on these new topics since they do not appear as separate topics in the syllabus, but I will guess that about 15% of the exam will be on the new topics.

Some of the new topics are brought over from Exam C, with a small amount of additions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzbaxfan
I think that Coaching Actuaries doesn't use the ASM manual for LTAM, but instead has their own manual.
CA is moving away from ASM. They currently are using their own manual for MLC and will use their own manual for LTAM. As other students have noted, it is not intended as a stand-alone manual, as it doesn't provide exercises; it is designed to be used with the ADAPT system.

The ASM manual is a stand-alone manual that provides comprehensive coverage of the material, lots of exercises (over 1800, including over 700 original ones), 13 practice exams, and solutions to all released exams. It comes with StudyPlus+, which includes e-flashcards. Of course one may choose to buy the ASM manual and to use ADAPT as well; it is fun and educational to work on ADAPT quizzes and increase your level. Just one caution: ADAPT cannot simulate written answer questions that well, and written answer questions are about 58% of the exam.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:22 PM
CAS SOA

College: Drake University

Quote:
From what I see online, looks like it only a digital version. CA has not completed the manual yet, so they are releasing the manual in chunks.
Yes, our manual is online; we do not offer a printed manual. However, you may print the manual on your own. Our online manual works well across various platforms, including computer, tablet, and smartphone. It is not a static PDF; so the content will adjust dynamically based on the device you view the manual with.

Our LTAM manual is about 90% done. You can already start using it to study for 90% of the material. The remaining 10% will be released in the next two months.

For those who are still researching about study resources for this exam, feel free to sign up for a free trial to our LTAM Learn videos and manual here and you can see for yourself if the product fits your learning style. The free trial provides access to two sections of the material.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by tkt; 04-04-2018 at 12:29 PM..