Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Life
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Default MCEV / AFR -Cost of Nonhedagble Risk

In MCEV framework, the cost of nonhedgable risk (i.e. mortality, longevity , behavior etc) are estimated based on a capital charge * economic capital * duration

I believe this is needed because those risks are not modeled stochastically like financial risks.

However, if i were to model those risks stochastically, the cost of option and guarantee is much smaller vs the proposed approach above. This is because the cost of O&G is trying to capture deviation around the mean, while the approach above is calibrated based and extreme tail event like 2.57x standard deviation.

In my opinion, this creates a significant dis-adavange for Insurance risk given there is not such deduction for financial risk, only O&G

Is anyone aware if this issue was discussed at the MCEV forum or any reasoning behind such different treatment for risks?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

The cost of nonhedgable risk is a cost of capital measure that reflects the capital owners' (e.g. shareholders) willingness to bear the risk that insurance experience will be worse than the best estimates that go into the value of inforce (i.e. the PV of distributable earnings on a best estimate basis).

The cost of nonhedgable risk exists because there is no way to hedge away non-financial risk using tradable market instruments, so it's based on an economic capital approach that allows the framework (as a whole) to remain market-consistent (because the the cost of nonhedgable risk is like a market measure of the uncertainty in non-financial risks like mortality, etc.) The EC base that goes into the cost of nonhedgable risk calculate can certainly be based on stochastic simulations for mortality tail risk, but you could also use equivalent 1-year VaR shocks for the mortality, etc. components (a la Solvency II).

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn