Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 PM
SOA

It's easy enough to forward separately if there are certain people you don't want on the chain but who you want aware the email was sent, imo.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM

The place I work now is pretty bubbly. Lots of exclamation points and big thank yous.

I guess being more solemn would make more sense in actuarial settings, but overall the OP advice seems narrow to a certain culture.
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
The place I work now is pretty bubbly. Lots of exclamation points and big thank yous.

I guess being more solemn would make more sense in actuarial settings, but overall the OP advice seems narrow to a certain culture.
so in other words you work with a bunch of phony people. I hate that.
Spoiler:
Old 06-12-2018, 06:23 PM
SOA

First point is keep it short and to the point. I haven't yet read the wall of text that follows but well-irony'd sir.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:34 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Also, white space is your friend.
Completely agree

Quote:
Do not send an email back to someone where the entire message is the word 'Thanks!'

And unless you are a teenage girl do not end a message with the word thanks and an exclamation point. Speaking of exclamation points be careful with your punctuation because too many exclamation points, multiple question marks or Dot dot dot are not good. Not good at all.
Completely disagree. "Thanks!" is the perfect way to end an email. I can't end an email without "Thanks!" at the end. At one point, I put "Thanks!" in my outlook signature so that I wouldn't have to type it every time but by habit I still would which meant all my emails were ending in "Thanks! <br><br>Thanks!" so I went back to just typing it.

Quote:
Here's another tip, if you are a married guy do not spend an inordinate amount of time talking to the ladies. People notice, trust me on this one. I've had several people who report to me in this situation and I actually had to confront them about it. Awkward.
Fixed that for you.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Fixed that for you.

Thanks!
there was a guy like that at my previous job. wasn't married and would talk to every new girl who started. he was a creep. he once pulled my hair and I told him to get the hell away from me, and he never bothered me again. I heard he got accused of stalking a few girls. he eventually got fired cause he sucked at his job and not for the whole creep factor.
Spoiler:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:27 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
First point is keep it short and to the point. I haven't yet read the wall of text that follows but well-irony'd sir.
Thanks, there were a few ironies in there I was going for, that was one of them imo.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Fixed that for you.
Fair enough but trust me on this, the conversations that happen about you are very different if you are married.

Also, if you are an older dude and spend a lot of time at younger women's desks and you don't really have a work reason to be spending that much time with them.

If you are a younger unmarried guy you might get asked to keep the socializing down. If you are one of the two aforementioned, it will be on the list of cons about you. That list eventually gets you fired. I've seen it happen.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-12-2018, 07:34 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
there was a guy like that at my previous job. wasn't married and would talk to every new girl who started. he was a creep. he once pulled my hair and I told him to get the hell away from me, and he never bothered me again. I heard he got accused of stalking a few girls. he eventually got fired cause he sucked at his job and not for the whole creep factor.
Aha! They go hand in hand imo.

How old was the guy vs the women he spent time with? What did he do that was creepy?

Anyway, i wasn't referring to creepy, I'm saying if you are a married guy and you spend lots of one on one lunches, breaks, downtime etc, with one coworker who happens to be female people will talk and they wont be saying flattering things. Even if it's completely innocent btw.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Could you expand on a comment from lesson one regarding your disagreement with the advice to "say what you mean" (that seems to be correct in the context of this thread) and "mean what you say." What's the objection to the latter?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.