Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-13-2018, 01:08 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post

Personally, I would advise being slightly bubbly in your communication. I generally agree with TDA's advice on brevity, but these little things can help you communicate much harsher messages with significantly less friction. I may only need 2 sentences to communicate something, but I will use 4-5 if it means the difference between correctly calling someone out or a blame-free option. I've found I get what I need out of people faster this way, which means less communication in the long term: the ultimate goal.
I didn't say sacrifice content for brevity. If the key to your message is not-calling someone out then that IS your content so take as much space as you need to do that. But no more!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-13-2018, 01:13 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Also, starting a message with "I wanted to..." or "I am writing to..." sucks. Don't do it. As in, "I wanted to let you know I've updated the TPS reports for May." And especially, "I am writing because I want to let you know that the TPS reports are updated for May."

In fact, I got one today "I wanted to follow up with you on whether you've done blah blah blah."

I really want to reply and say, feel free to follow up whenever it's convenient.

Why can't she just say, "Allan, have you done blah blah blah"

or even, "Allan, I am following up blah blah blah"

In fact, while still wrong, even saying "i am writing to follow up on blah blah blah" might even be better. I mean it's got to be better than telling me about something you wanted to do!!!!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 06-13-2018, 01:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunken Actuary View Post
Also, starting a message with "I wanted to..." or "I am writing to..." sucks. Don't do it. As in, "I wanted to let you know I've updated the TPS reports for May." And especially, "I am writing because I want to let you know that the TPS reports are updated for May."

In fact, I got one today "I wanted to follow up with you on whether you've done blah blah blah."

I really want to reply and say, feel free to follow up whenever it's convenient.

Why can't she just say, "Allan, have you done blah blah blah"

or even, "Allan, I am following up blah blah blah"

In fact, while still wrong, even saying "i am writing to follow up on blah blah blah" might even be better. I mean it's got to be better than telling me about something you wanted to do!!!!
This seems less like important career advice and more like an old man yelling at a cloud.
I was going to fire Comey knowing, there was no good time to do it. And in fact when I decided to just do it, I said to myself, I said you know, this Russia thing with Trump and Russia is a made up story
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
This seems less like important career advice and more like an old man yelling at a cloud.
You can lead a dead horse to water and still beat him imo
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Thanks
Old 06-13-2018, 01:41 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
I didn't say sacrifice content for brevity. If the key to your message is not-calling someone out then that IS your content so take as much space as you need to do that. But no more!
Agreed again. Iím just pointing out a detail that this is an important detail if you want to advance as people are extremely sensitive about these things.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
Spoiler:
Old 06-13-2018, 05:40 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Agreed again. Iím just pointing out a detail that this is an important detail if you want to advance as people are extremely sensitive about these things.
Hmmm, didn't you basically say don't be a dick?
Old 06-14-2018, 04:18 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Hmmm, didn't you basically say don't be a dick?
No, Iím talking about completely reframing the message, too. Allan is and should be accountable for this issue, but I donít state that even though it would make the message more clear for everyone what the actual problem is. Itís sacrificing content in a way.

I approve of doing this in external/upward communication where the team is really the accountable party and the failure to catch it is on everyone in a way. Where Iím not happy about this is where multiple teams are in play and one team screwed up, but none of us really call it out without being considered a problem child. The real issues get ignored because of this kind of crap, but I also know Iím going to need TPS reports every month from Allan and heís a vindictive little prick.

Iím not even talking about punishment or anything, just a preference for being able to say, ďthis is wrong,Ē rather than the diplomatic dance expected in corporate America. More billable hours, I guess.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:07 AM
CAS

when is Lesson 3? what is the topic?