Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:41 PM
SOA

Default Is it actually true that most jobs are not posted online?

I keep hearing that most jobs are not available online and that you must have contacts all over the place to make things easier for you. Does anyone here interview candidates simply by the fact that they got refered and don't even look at other resumes? The job market is quite dead here in Canada, well at least in Montreal.. What about you guys in the US, does your company acually post all the jobs online? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by had3s View Post
I keep hearing that most jobs are not available online and that you must have contacts all over the place to make things easier for you.
Would be curious where you heard this. Especially the "must have contacts" part, but also the "most jobs are not available online". Was it from somebody that you considered knowledgeable and reliable? Or just a random post on the AO? Professor? Working actuary? Others?

Quote:
Does anyone here interview candidates simply by the fact that they got refered and don't even look at other resumes?
The "don't even look at other resumes" seems like an exceptionally stupid way to hire, so I doubt that very many people will confess to adopting that strategy.

Quote:
The job market is quite dead here in Canada, well at least in Montreal.. What about you guys in the US, does your company acually post all the jobs online? Thanks.
Many companies don't post some jobs online, either because they already have somebody in mind, because they want to interview internally first, because they are using a recruiter, or for a myriad of other reasons. Depends on if we're talking secretaries, EL actuaries, experienced actuaries, or salespeople, among other things.

Like many threads, I feel like you have a question (maybe something as simple as, How do I find a job?), but want to hint around at it rather than just asking (or researching in old threads) what you want. I could be wrong, but if I'm right, maybe just consider researching and/or posting your actual question. The ones above don't seem like very productive questions to ask.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

A decent number of very large companies in the US have a policy that all jobs get posted to reduce the number of ways they can be accused of discriminatory hiring practices. It might be very different for smaller companies. And it's not even all large companies. Some large companies aren't so strict and will fill some positions without posting them.

I am at a large (F200) company, and they post ~100% of jobs online. It's only the occasional super-senior exec position (i.e. C-suite and their direct reports) that doesn't get posted, but sometimes even those get posted. Sometimes our postings are effectively filled before they are posted. In those cases then there is a note on the internal careers site that there is already a strong candidate under consideration. But those still get posted. That's not that common - about 1-2% of postings.

Last edited by nonlnear; 06-16-2018 at 03:38 PM..
Old 06-16-2018, 03:35 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Would be curious where you heard this. Especially the "must have contacts" part, but also the "most jobs are not available online". Was it from somebody that you considered knowledgeable and reliable? Or just a random post on the AO? Professor? Working actuary? Others?

The "don't even look at other resumes" seems like an exceptionally stupid way to hire, so I doubt that very many people will confess to adopting that strategy.

Many companies don't post some jobs online, either because they already have somebody in mind, because they want to interview internally first, because they are using a recruiter, or for a myriad of other reasons. Depends on if we're talking secretaries, EL actuaries, experienced actuaries, or salespeople, among other things.

Like many threads, I feel like you have a question (maybe something as simple as, How do I find a job?), but want to hint around at it rather than just asking (or researching in old threads) what you want. I could be wrong, but if I'm right, maybe just consider researching and/or posting your actual question. The ones above don't seem like very productive questions to ask.
I already have a job. Just looking for other opportunities but I can't seem to find relevant ones (well at least for my level of experience, around a year). I know some people got a job just by knowing someone at another company and job was not posted online so I just wanted to know if it is the case most of the time for the available job supply.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:41 PM

Certainly searching online and also through your network are both important. At your level, in the US, most jobs are going to be posted online IME. Almost all.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about Canada, hopefully somebody else will come along and have some useful info.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:47 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

In the UK, past entry level almost all jobs ive come across are through recruiters and/or networking.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:51 PM
CAS

IME, most if not all openings get posted. Contacts aren't a must (I've gotten jobs at companies where I knew no one, and I applied online) but having contacts definitely helps. I'm 2 for 2 in getting jobs I applied for where I had a person in the department/company as a reference, and about 2 out of 25 where I knew no one.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:08 PM
CAS SOA

Another data point to consider.

Even if a company posts all open positions online, people will still get hired from networking. I've seen from personal experience periods where the hiring attitude is very much "we're not actively hiring but if there's a really good candidate, we would reconsider". So someone looking online wouldn't see anything but a resume passed along via contact (maybe even spammed to the right person's inbox) might have a chance.
Old 07-01-2018, 05:16 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

My company posts all its positions online. It wasn't however, until after I accepted my offer that the position was created and posted. I noticed a few people applied to it, but it was only up for a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:45 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygator View Post
Another data point to consider.

Even if a company posts all open positions online, people will still get hired from networking. I've seen from personal experience periods where the hiring attitude is very much "we're not actively hiring but if there's a really good candidate, we would reconsider". So someone looking online wouldn't see anything but a resume passed along via contact (maybe even spammed to the right person's inbox) might have a chance.
, although I would recommend against blind, impersonal spamming.

I've had seven jobs spanning four and a half companies in my career.

My third job came about because I sent in my resume for a position that had been posted externally, but a different manager who hadn't yet posted an opening grabbed it.

My prior job was the result of going out to lunch with a former coworker. One thing lead to another and a place was found for me.

(I also had two jobs found by connecting with external postings, one was a rotation that was posted externally by HR per standard procedure, and two were the result of projects growing into full-time jobs...so no external posting made.)