Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-19-2018, 04:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkei18 View Post
Yikes.
Point being: ask early. Also, that bump paled in comparison to any of the others. It was a good exercise in standing up for myself, but ultimately the others were more impactful both financially and in responsibility.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani Sitake View Post
Point being: ask early. Also, that bump paled in comparison to any of the others. It was a good exercise in standing up for myself, but ultimately the others were more impactful both financially and in responsibility.
I am starting to get the picture in my current job and just general attitudes around the forum that your salary negotiation within your next job move is the most critical thing to look for if you want a pay bump. That being said, maybe it's time to pass more exams myself.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:59 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Annoying nitpick: Do you mean one of the top 20 companies on the F500? Because there's no such thing as a "Fortune 20" . Everybody knows what you mean, so maybe I should post this in the "Things that annoy you more than they should" thread.
Doesn't UHC market itself as a Fortune 6 company or something?

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:28 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Not sure about that. For one thing ASA+2yrs is an odd combination to base a title on, but if you've really scoured job postings, sometimes the minimum requirements are quite low. I've seen Sr. Analyst require 1 year. I've also seen entry level require 1 year.

In my four major health employers this was never the case, automatic promotions.
In my experience it's pretty common. I'm talking about promotions where your job title gets a boost, but in terms of your responsibilities you just keep doing the same type of work, but since you have more experience, you do it better than someone with less experience. The ASA+2yrs is something I made up, it's not necessarily a benchmark.
FAC PEC
Old 07-05-2018, 11:47 AM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmajor View Post
Changing jobs is so much easier. Anecdotally promotion raises aren't that amazing anyway. It's upon hire that a company has the most flexibility in setting your compensation.

Had I stayed at my previous job, the total comp might have been 10% increase (5% base, 5% bonus) whereas I got 35%ish jumping ship. My complaint about being underpaid netted me 5% at raise time instead of 2%. Woo.

Like Westley mentions, it's too bad really. You're just going to have to hire someone new at market, pay to recruit them potentially, relocate them, train them. Stop being so stingy.
Pretty much agree with this but of course there are exceptions.
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
More experience is far from the only consideration. Those experienced people may be far enough along in career and at a place in their personal life that they say "Oh, a new role, lots of learning and development, lots of new problems to figure out, wow does that sound like a lot more effort than I want to put in."
This one hits the nail on the head. When I read the AO, the common advice seems to be to switch companies. But initially you will be working twice as hard for some time just to get up to speed and get back to where you were at your old company in terms of comfort level and getting into a routine. Do experienced people find it easy to fit into a new company, having to deal with different software and policies/procedures? That (and not even the actuarial concepts) is itself a learning curve.

Last edited by Double_Zero_Six; 07-11-2018 at 04:30 AM..
Old 07-11-2018, 09:06 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
Speaking of promotion, let's say you want to double up on exams.
Would companies normally be okay with this?
They might respect your ambition/determination but there's a chance all that studying might get in the way of you being productive with work.
Also the company has to deal with 2x exam expenses.
The only company I've worked for where it was commonly done was one where the company gave study time based on what you'd passed recently, rather than what you signed up for. And the compensation for other stuff (review courses, study notes, etc. was minimal.) So your study time was a fixed number, however many exams you signed up for, and managers quite reasonably left the choice of "which exam(s) shall I take" up to the candidates. Some people did well working on two exams at once, others preferred to focus their attention.

When the company gives study time tied to what exams you've signed up for, the company wants to weigh in on that decision, and generally frowns on candidates splitting their attention.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

A lot of the people who moved into management at my company had people skills and good looks.

It's not necessarily the people with the highest IQs and work ethic.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:17 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
A lot of the people who moved into management at my company had people skills and good looks.

It's not necessarily the people with the highest IQs and work ethic.
Liar!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM
CAS

Studying for the credential

When it comes to being promoted further past director or vice president level, having good people skill becomes far more important in my opinion.
C-suite, forget about it if you don't have good people skill in my opinion.