Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM
royevans royevans is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 462
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
depends on the company

You should probably ask your chief actuary or another senior person how it gets done.
it's easier to learn from failures than success' imo. I would ask some random analyst that has unusually slow progression what his/her next steps are.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I just don't want to see some dumb punk from some school like Penn state suddenly be handed asa when they couldn't pass the prelims to save their life.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM
Liar's Avatar
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
When it comes to being promoted further past director or vice president level, having good people skill becomes far more important in my opinion.
C-suite, forget about it if you don't have good people skill in my opinion.
I don't think it's people skills. Some people just have that look where anyone who sees them automatically likes them.

I think it's more about being genuinely comfortable with yourself, which comes more easily if you are physically attractive.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I don't think it's people skills. Some people just have that look where anyone who sees them automatically likes them.

I think it's more about being genuinely comfortable with yourself, which comes more easily if you are physically attractive.
I would imagine that competency figures into the equation at some point too.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
Liar's Avatar
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I would imagine that competency figures into the equation at some point too.
I think if you passed all the Actuarial Exams, you're probably competent, so that metric wouldn't apply for promotions in this field.

Like everything else in life, being picked for something deals more with traits not found in other candidates. If everyone is competent, then that trait isn't the tie-breaker.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
A lot of the people who moved into management at my company had people skills and good looks.

It's not necessarily the people with the highest IQs and work ethic.
Shockingly people skills are important if you're going to manage people, or, even interact with people a lot.

Most of the time those skills become more important than be an expert technician. You need a minimum level of technical knowledge, but beyond that other things become more important.
__________________
I don't believe there is any real purpose in existence, but I need a temporary sense of purpose in what I'm doing to feel satisfied.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57 PM
Liar's Avatar
Liar Liar is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Studying for LTAM
Posts: 308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Shockingly people skills are important if you're going to manage people, or, even interact with people a lot.

Most of the time those skills become more important than be an expert technician. You need a minimum level of technical knowledge, but beyond that other things become more important.
My Chief Actuary is socially awkward, but he has that look that makes people automatically respect him even without him uttering a word.

He has 2 girls under him who do all the people managing.

Again, it's mostly about having 'that look'.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 PM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 1,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
My Chief Actuary is socially awkward, but he has that look that makes people automatically respect him even without him uttering a word.

He has 2 girls under him who do all the people managing.

Again, it's mostly about having 'that look'.
Sounds like something people who failed without trying tell themselves.

If you're attractive you'll tend to have an easier time acting confidently. Doesn't mean people are getting promoted in the actuarial field because they look good, we're not pharma reps......
__________________
I don't believe there is any real purpose in existence, but I need a temporary sense of purpose in what I'm doing to feel satisfied.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I think if you passed all the Actuarial Exams, you're probably competent, so that metric wouldn't apply for promotions in this field.
That assumption is over bold. Passing exams and on the job competency are very very different things.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Sounds like something people who failed without trying tell themselves.

If you're attractive you'll tend to have an easier time acting confidently. Doesn't mean people are getting promoted in the actuarial field because they look good, we're not pharma reps......
Or someone who is bitter that they aren't perceived as confident and is chalking it all up to looks.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM
DjPim's Avatar
DjPim DjPim is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 228
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I think if you passed all the Actuarial Exams, you're probably competent, so that metric wouldn't apply for promotions in this field.

Like everything else in life, being picked for something deals more with traits not found in other candidates. If everyone is competent, then that trait isn't the tie-breaker.
There are plenty of FSA's at my office who lack initiative, motivation, attention to detail, social skills, leadership qualities, and several other factors that I think are all important to them getting past "Senior Analyst" title into a director role, let alone any amount of upper management. Just because he can study, take tests, and code in VBA doesn't make him equally competent to be a vice president of pricing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
"Cali" SMH.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.45674 seconds with 9 queries