Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:24 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
depends on the company

You should probably ask your chief actuary or another senior person how it gets done.
it's easier to learn from failures than success' imo. I would ask some random analyst that has unusually slow progression what his/her next steps are.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:04 AM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldy27 View Post
When it comes to being promoted further past director or vice president level, having good people skill becomes far more important in my opinion.
C-suite, forget about it if you don't have good people skill in my opinion.
I don't think it's people skills. Some people just have that look where anyone who sees them automatically likes them.

I think it's more about being genuinely comfortable with yourself, which comes more easily if you are physically attractive.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar View Post
I don't think it's people skills. Some people just have that look where anyone who sees them automatically likes them.

I think it's more about being genuinely comfortable with yourself, which comes more easily if you are physically attractive.
I would imagine that competency figures into the equation at some point too.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:42 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I would imagine that competency figures into the equation at some point too.
I think if you passed all the Actuarial Exams, you're probably competent, so that metric wouldn't apply for promotions in this field.

Like everything else in life, being picked for something deals more with traits not found in other candidates. If everyone is competent, then that trait isn't the tie-breaker.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:53 PM
SOA

Quote:
A lot of the people who moved into management at my company had people skills and good looks.

It's not necessarily the people with the highest IQs and work ethic.
Shockingly people skills are important if you're going to manage people, or, even interact with people a lot.

Most of the time those skills become more important than be an expert technician. You need a minimum level of technical knowledge, but beyond that other things become more important.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57 PM
SOA

Studying for LTAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Shockingly people skills are important if you're going to manage people, or, even interact with people a lot.

Most of the time those skills become more important than be an expert technician. You need a minimum level of technical knowledge, but beyond that other things become more important.
My Chief Actuary is socially awkward, but he has that look that makes people automatically respect him even without him uttering a word.

He has 2 girls under him who do all the people managing.

Again, it's mostly about having 'that look'.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:59 PM
SOA

Quote:
My Chief Actuary is socially awkward, but he has that look that makes people automatically respect him even without him uttering a word.

He has 2 girls under him who do all the people managing.

Again, it's mostly about having 'that look'.
Sounds like something people who failed without trying tell themselves.

If you're attractive you'll tend to have an easier time acting confidently. Doesn't mean people are getting promoted in the actuarial field because they look good, we're not pharma reps......
Old 07-11-2018, 01:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
I think if you passed all the Actuarial Exams, you're probably competent, so that metric wouldn't apply for promotions in this field.
That assumption is over bold. Passing exams and on the job competency are very very different things.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:37 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Sounds like something people who failed without trying tell themselves.

If you're attractive you'll tend to have an easier time acting confidently. Doesn't mean people are getting promoted in the actuarial field because they look good, we're not pharma reps......
Or someone who is bitter that they aren't perceived as confident and is chalking it all up to looks.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM
SOA

Quote:

Like everything else in life, being picked for something deals more with traits not found in other candidates. If everyone is competent, then that trait isn't the tie-breaker.
There are plenty of FSA's at my office who lack initiative, motivation, attention to detail, social skills, leadership qualities, and several other factors that I think are all important to them getting past "Senior Analyst" title into a director role, let alone any amount of upper management. Just because he can study, take tests, and code in VBA doesn't make him equally competent to be a vice president of pricing.