Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 06-24-2018, 02:31 AM
SOA

Default Is passing one exam a year better than two?

If you pass one exam a year, then you Will likely get a merit raise at the end of the year.

If you pass two exams a year, then you will likely NOT get a merit raise at the end of the year.

The above statements are true because spending time on 1 exam per year gives you more time to work, thus you are more productive. And at the end of the year, your skills and productivity would have outgrown your current pay, while if you passed 2 exams then you would probably be overpaid by the end of the year when you count the fact that you were less productive than if you had only spent time on 1 exam and also the fact that you had already gotten 2 raises due to the 2 exams?

Hence at the end of each year, in both situations the pay is similar, but the other guy only had to stress on 1 exam for that year?

Last edited by kingofants; 06-24-2018 at 02:35 AM..
Old 06-24-2018, 02:47 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Your thread is not entirely true but there is actually some merit to it. There are companies out there, mainly in consulting that reward you more for work performance than for exams. It's often why you see slow progress on the consulting side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I don't recommend deliberately slowing down your progress. There's no guarantee that you'll pass each sitting, so you should sit as often as you can. Also, who knows what'll happen 10 years down the line. Maybe you'll end up having a kid and get stuck due to a lack of study time. Get them out of the way while you're young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofants View Post
If you pass two exams a year, then you will likely NOT get a merit raise at the end of the year.
Have never heard of this happening to anybody, ever (not saying it doesn't, or can't, just have never seen this or heard of it).

Many companies will see an exam-passing star and make sure they get special consideration for merit raises because they don't want to take a chance that they leave.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:15 PM

Also, your pattern of making a bunch of assumptions about how things work (and then using that to draw conclusions), rather than asking about them is one of the more glaring problems with how you present yourself and will be a long-term detriment whether you pass one more exam or not.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Have never heard of this happening to anybody, ever (not saying it doesn't, or can't, just have never seen this or heard of it).

Many companies will see an exam-passing star and make sure they get special consideration for merit raises because they don't want to take a chance that they leave.
At my old shop, if you passed an exam you'd get a 5% raise. If you passed two at once, you'd only get a 10% raise (not the 10.25% you should be entitled to.) I pointed that out, but got little sympathy.

"I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."
Old 06-24-2018, 04:13 PM
SOA AAA

College: Davidson College

One of the items on our performance review is exam progress. So depending on the candidate level (e.g. someone sitting for P and FM vs. someone sitting for two FSA exams), passing one exam in a calendar year might meet expectations, and passing two exams might exceed expectations.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Also, your pattern of making a bunch of assumptions about how things work (and then using that to draw conclusions), rather than asking about them is one of the more glaring problems with how you present yourself and will be a long-term detriment whether you pass one more exam or not.
Yeah I find the OPs questions quite weird in his/her posts but couldn't quite put my finger on what was so weird. You hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 PM
SOA

Quote:
These are hypothetical assumptions.

The reality is, this whole thread is just a question.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:15 PM
SOA

If your annual merit raise or even promotion raise is similar to one exam raise, then it's probably not a high raise. In that case, passing more exams in a year is not a good idea.