Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:39 PM
CAS

Default My personal philosophy

My personal philosophy is to pass the exams as quickly as you can, when you have the fewest personal responsibilities and the fewest employment responsibilities.

In my case I think it was easier for me to pass an exam at age 25 when I was single with no kids and doing rather routine actuarial work, than it was to pass an exam at age 45 when I was married with three kids and was department head reporting directly to the president.

(Yes, I passed an exam at age 45.)
Old 06-24-2018, 09:12 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytuttle View Post
My personal philosophy is to pass the exams as quickly as you can, when you have the fewest personal responsibilities and the fewest employment responsibilities.

In my case I think it was easier for me to pass an exam at age 25 when I was single with no kids and doing rather routine actuarial work, than it was to pass an exam at age 45 when I was married with three kids and was department head reporting directly to the president.

(Yes, I passed an exam at age 45.)
This. My examples aren't as extreme as Jerry's, but it was way less costly in time (as a fraction of time I had available) to study for exams before kids than after.

I was in an exam 7 review class many years ago, and a fellow student said to me, "I used to study so I could get a raise. Now I study so I don't have to take this exam again."

I agreed with her.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post

I was in an exam 7 review class many years ago, and a fellow student said to me, "I used to study so I could get a raise. Now I study so I don't have to take this exam again."

I agreed with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofants View Post
These are hypothetical assumptions.

The reality is, this whole thread is just a question.
Yes, that's the problem with how you present yourself that I was referring to.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 PM

Here's how somebody might present this in a discussion without the "I'm making a bunch of assumptions about things I don't really understand and acting like I know a lot more about how things work than I do".

Quote:
If you pass one exam a year, then you Will likely get a merit raise at the end of the year.

If you pass two exams a year, is it likely you will NOT get a merit raise at the end of the year?

That seems possible because if you are spending time on 1 exam per year you have more time to work, and can be more productive. And at the end of the year, the company will assess that your skills and productivity are improved. But if you passed 2 exams, would you maybe be overpaid by the end of the year when you count time spent studying and focusing on exam skills rather than job skills, plus you already got a raise that's unrelated to job skills?

Or maybe that doesn't matter as much for compensation, but it seems like it should so maybe somebody explain why that's wrong?
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colymbosathon ecplecticos View Post
At my old shop, if you passed an exam you'd get a 5% raise. If you passed two at once, you'd only get a 10% raise (not the 10.25% you should be entitled to.) I pointed that out, but got little sympathy.
Same experience here.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:25 PM
SOA

to any exam takers out there- pass exams. dont worry about having too many. dont worry about the specific raise structure at your company. Just get your letters and go from there.

in fact, we should just delete this thread so we dont have to tell people not to read it.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:25 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDan View Post
to any exam takers out there- pass exams. dont worry about having too many. dont worry about the specific raise structure at your company. Just get your letters and go from there.

in fact, we should just delete this thread so we dont have to tell people not to read it.
Closing it is a good idea. Can't get bumped to the top that way.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
If you pass one exam a year, then you Will likely get a merit raise at the end of the year.

If you pass two exams a year, then you will likely NOT get a merit raise at the end of the year.

The above statements are true because spending time on 1 exam per year gives you more time to work, thus you are more productive. ...
Using that logic, studying and passing 0 exams a year would make you even more productive! It's not something I recommend.

I think I know of 3 people, over a long period, who did better in their career by giving up exams, compared with hundreds who did better by continuing. And those people who passed more quickly / completed sooner were generally promoted faster and ultimately got to more senior positions than those who took a long time to complete.

Don't neglect your work, particularly at busy times for the department. But subject to that, pass as many exams as you can as quickly as you can.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
"I used to study so I could get a raise. Now I study so I don't have to take this exam again."
God forbid studying for any other reason.

-Riley