Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 06-25-2018, 07:51 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Oh. I just remembered that I left my first job (not actuarial, retail) because of sexual harassment by one particular person.

But really, no. I tried to work with my managers and HR to share my experiences and resolve it peacefully, and they chose to ignore it, so I left that because of bad management as well.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM
SOA

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Rochefort Trappistes 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I wonder how many people I've inadvertently chased away for this very reason.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:15 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

A reason is one thing, the only reason is pretty significant. If it's that bad you should have reason to tell someone about it.

But yes one relief in my last job change was not dealing with one or two previous coworkers anymore. Consulting gives way to annoying competitive personalities.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:10 AM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
I'd say this is reason number 1 or 2
That's why companies emphasize so much on "fit." If they hire someone who won't get along with the other members of the team, chances are there will be departures.
FAC PEC
Old 06-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Boss, yes, coworker, no.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
That's why companies emphasize so much on "fit." If they hire someone who won't get along with the other members of the team, chances are there will be departures.
I get what you're saying, but cultural "fit" is so overrated and subjective, IMO. Companies nowadays are supposed to be inclusive of diverse backgrounds and opinions, to the point that if anyone feels unwelcome, then that would reflect poorly on the team, and not necessarily the person.

I used to work on a team that had a heavy bias towards hiring people that were similar to the existing team members. It probably hurt them in the long run.

Now, back to the original topic. If anyone despises their boss and/or coworkers so much that their only option is to leave, then perhaps higher-level management should take a look at the boss and/or coworkers in question, just to make sure that they are promoting a healthy culture for the team members.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
I get what you're saying, but cultural "fit" is so overrated and subjective, IMO. Companies nowadays are supposed to be inclusive of diverse backgrounds and opinions, to the point that if anyone feels unwelcome, then that would reflect poorly on the team, and not necessarily the person.

I used to work on a team that had a heavy bias towards hiring people that were similar to the existing team members. It probably hurt them in the long run.

Now, back to the original topic. If anyone despises their boss and/or coworkers so much that their only option is to leave, then perhaps higher-level management should take a look at the boss and/or coworkers in question, just to make sure that they are promoting a healthy culture for the team members.
Sounds great in theory, rare to see in practice, most people are too afraid of burning a bridge to be honest in an exit interview, if the company even does one.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:17 PM
CAS AAA

Boss yes. I was a senior level manager in the actuarial department and had to get approval to replace a PC that was incapable of running the software required of the analyst. It cost $800 and my VP made me write a proposal. At my bill rate, it cost more for me to write the proposal than it would have cost to replace the PC. When I brought this up, he was very upset with me for not being diligent with company assets. I shook my head and started looking for a new job.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:21 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Not because of one particular coworker, but I did leave a place because I thought overall, the people lacked talent. It might be a good place for one to coast, but it wasn't for me.
I'm sure it also happens the other way around, where your coworkers are too good and hard working and you either can't or don't want to compete with that for raises/promotions.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:18 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post

I agree that companies could look more into having teams with people of diverse backgrounds, ideas and skillsets.
FAC PEC