Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Short-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Short-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam C Forum

Old 06-25-2018, 04:47 PM
SOA

Studying for C/FAP
College: The University of South Carolina
Default October 2018 Exam STAM Thread

Is there already one of these? If so, I can't find it. I'll be happy to delete this if one already exists.

Failed C today. Sucked because I went in feeling really confident. Not sure if my exam was harder than anyone else's, but it was brutal.

Anyways, I wanted to find out how people were preparing after failing C and now shifting to the STAM syllabus. Also, I'm assuming this will be one of those brutal sittings where there is no preliminary pass/fail? Super excited about that since I will be 8 months pregnant and official results will come out after my son is born.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:49 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
Favorite beer: Polygamy Porter

I'm right there with you. Failed C today as well. I felt fairly well-prepared (though I always have doubts going into these exams). I understood the SOA 307 problems well. I redid them until I could do them all (but 8 of them) in 6 minutes or under.
Therefore I felt the exam today was quite difficult.

Does anyone know how different STAM will be from C? I looked at the syllabus and it seems similar to C.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:56 PM
SOA

Studying for C/FAP
College: The University of South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
I'm right there with you. Failed C today as well. I felt fairly well-prepared (though I always have doubts going into these exams). I understood the SOA 307 problems well. I redid them until I could do them all (but 8 of them) in 6 minutes or under.
Therefore I felt the exam today was quite difficult.

Does anyone know how different STAM will be from C? I looked at the syllabus and it seems similar to C.
Very, very similar experience with the 307! I think it is mostly the same thing, however, they have added a section on Short-Term insurances that has loss reserving, rate-making, etc on it. That should make up about 25% of the syllabus. I know the SOA re-released the 307 with 20 or so more problems and they deleted the questions that were no longer relevant.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:55 PM
SOA

Failed too here.
I am not sure if I should take first STAM or wait until next Feb.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:05 PM
SOA

Studying for STAM I guess
College: Allegheny College
Favorite beer: ICY

I got trucked by C today too (even after strategically scheduling the exam for the last possible day in the exam window). However, I pretty much knew I was going to fail, but doing batches of 5 ADAPT questions on 6-10 difficulty on focused sections 6 or so full days pre-exam gave me the hubris to actually show up to the facility to meet my maker.

Anyway, I used the Weishaus ASM manual in tandem with ADAPT, and for STAM, Weishaus declares that the following from the manual will be dropped:
  • Empirical Models (Part II)
  • Method of Moments, Percentile Matching (Lessons 30-31, Part III: Parametric Models)
  • Graphic Comparison (Lessons 36)
  • Simulation (Part V)

So it seems Aggregate Loss, Severity, etc. (Part I), much of Parametric Models (Part III), and all of Credibility (Part IV) will be retained with the addition of Short-Term theory/methods (hence, STAM).

Note that this lists relates to the ASM manual, which is mostly based off the Loss Models text from the syllabus.

Hope this helps, and good luck to all for the next attempts and beyond!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 AM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prominence View Post
I got trucked by C today too (even after strategically scheduling the exam for the last possible day in the exam window). However, I pretty much knew I was going to fail, but doing batches of 5 ADAPT questions on 6-10 difficulty on focused sections 6 or so full days pre-exam gave me the hubris to actually show up to the facility to meet my maker.

Anyway, I used the Weishaus ASM manual in tandem with ADAPT, and for STAM, Weishaus declares that the following from the manual will be dropped:
  • Method of Moments, Percentile Matching (Lessons 30-31, Part III: Parametric Models)
  • Simulation (Part V)

So it seems Aggregate Loss, Severity, etc. (Part I), much of Parametric Models (Part III), and all of Credibility (Part IV) will be retained with the addition of Short-Term theory/methods (hence, STAM).

Note that this lists relates to the ASM manual, which is mostly based off the Loss Models text from the syllabus.

Hope this helps, and good luck to all for the next attempts and beyond!
Thank you for the information Prominence.

It seems fitting that the SOA would drop Empirical models since that was the one section that I scored 'High' on.

OK. Let's get this party started.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:02 PM
David Revelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prominence View Post
  • Simulation (Part V)
The bolded is out of date. The initial draft syllabus removed graphical comparisons, but they were reinstated in the draft syllabus in March, and are included in the final syllabus in learning outcome 6e.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn
Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
SOA AAA

Yep, what I wrote in the old C manual about the future STAM was based on preliminary information. The ASM STAM manual includes material on graphic methods of evaluating fits.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:33 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
Yep, what I wrote in the old C manual about the future STAM was based on preliminary information. The ASM STAM manual includes material on graphic methods of evaluating fits.
Great! So I take it the STAM ASM manual is available? I used ASM for C. Is there a way to get just the addendum material?
Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM

Is some of the new STAM material in the last ASM MLC manual?