Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 07-01-2018, 05:36 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Sometimes I can't afford that amount of time, sometimes I can't afford not to. Not saying that amount of time is available for a significant chunk of emails, but I probably have a handful of emails per year that I send that really, really matter for what I'm trying to do. If it takes 10 minutes or 10 days to get that email right, it's just what has to happen.

In general, when people tell me that "a lot" of anything is "pretty important", my first thought is that I don't think they know what the word "important" means. Because 90% of anything is garbage.
This is what I was getting at.

And when I say "half a day", I mean write it and request feedback, put it aside for half a day, proofread it, and send.

I do believe speaking and writing go in parallel. They both fall under the communication bucket of the "build your brand" umbrella. If you do one, you should do the other imo.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Going from state government to corporate required me to change my communication style significantly. I'm back in government now. There were some things that I had to learn the hard way:

1. Corporate managers hate ambiguity. No matter how uncertain your statistical results may be or how poor the data collection methods are, managers want everything to have a very definite answer. If you word something in a document in such a way that does not sound confident and definite, your credibility will be questioned.

2. Corporate managers hate an excess of detail. Here's the thing about government versus corporate: whenever you're doing any sort of data analysis from the perspective of government, you essentially are expected to report the details ad nauseam so that anyone who is interested in reproducing your work can mostly understand how to do it without too much having to dig around. This will not fly in corporate.

3. Corporate managers want something that they can interact with when it comes to data, because data is hard to understand. If you're trying to present data to others, expect some mix of PivotTables, Power BI, Tableau, and D3.js - all essentially useless for gathering any sort of insight, but for most people, these are all data displays that managers can interact with and manipulate on their own to some extent.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition
Old 07-01-2018, 06:50 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarinetist View Post
Going from state government to corporate required me to change my communication style significantly. I'm back in government now. There were some things that I had to learn the hard way:

1. Corporate managers hate ambiguity. No matter how uncertain your statistical results may be or how poor the data collection methods are, managers want everything to have a very definite answer. If you word something in a document in such a way that does not sound confident and definite, your credibility will be questioned.

2. Corporate managers hate an excess of detail. Here's the thing about government versus corporate: whenever you're doing any sort of data analysis from the perspective of government, you essentially are expected to report the details ad nauseam so that anyone who is interested in reproducing your work can mostly understand how to do it without too much having to dig around. This will not fly in corporate.

3. Corporate managers want something that they can interact with when it comes to data, because data is hard to understand. If you're trying to present data to others, expect some mix of PivotTables, Power BI, Tableau, and D3.js - all essentially useless for gathering any sort of insight, but for most people, these are all data displays that managers can interact with and manipulate on their own to some extent.
Are you phrasing 2 and 3 as negatives?

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Rcpp, Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Are you phrasing 2 and 3 as negatives?
3 definitely, but 2, no. I will not elaborate as to why.

Why I hate Microsoft Access.

Studying/Reading: Linear Optimization/Programming, Machine Learning and Pattern Recognition

Last edited by clarinetist; 07-01-2018 at 07:01 PM..
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
3 definitely, but 2, no. I will not elaborate as to why.
ISWYDT
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

As far as business writing is concerned, here is the image that comes to mind when the adjective "elegant" is the target:

Spoiler - SFW:

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 07-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:

You must interact with a very different group of people in government than I do.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
You must interact with a very different group of people in government than I do.
He's in one of the departments where pages produced is a major performance metric, not one of the ones where longest line is the thing to shoot for.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 PM
CAS SOA

Ask someone to edit an important email you wrote for clarity. Their comments can be enlightening as to blind spots you might have.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:06 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

If your goal is to write or speak better, my recommendation is to read and watch high quality fiction, where wittiness is at more of a premium. Periodicals are also pretty good. Business books and statistical tomes are great for learning the technical side of things, but even the better written things I've read in that universe tend to have stilted writing styles at times. This is no disrespect to business communication at all; people building and maintaining technical knowledge just don't have as much time to hone their craft as professional writers.

Obviously, there is a specific format to business communication that needs to be adhered to, but it's a lot easier to fit into that style if you have more general linguistic tools to start with.