Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 07-02-2018, 02:07 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
If your goal is to write or speak better, my recommendation is to read and watch high quality fiction, where wittiness is at more of a premium. Periodicals are also pretty good. Business books and statistical tomes are great for learning the technical side of things, but even the better written things I've read in that universe tend to have stilted writing styles at times. This is no disrespect to business communication at all; people building and maintaining technical knowledge just don't have as much time to hone their craft as professional writers.

Obviously, there is a specific format to business communication that needs to be adhered to, but it's a lot easier to fit into that style if you have more general linguistic tools to start with.
Can you give us some examples of high quality fiction?
Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Read Strunk and White.

I agree with others here:

The best thing you can do is work hard on whatever you write. Take some time to ask yourself whether one edit is better than another.

The second best is to pay attention to whatever you read. Ask yourself what makes it good.

When it comes to business writing the answer is usually one of the following:
Clarity. Completeness. Brevity.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-02-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Old 07-02-2018, 03:23 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Act View Post
Read this book imo:
https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Anthol...ature+volume+e

Admittedly, postmodern poetry is not necessary for business writing, but if you're looking to improve your writing more broadly, this is the crème de la crème.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-02-2018 at 03:30 PM..
Old 07-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring Act View Post
I'm basically saying "not reality TV or trash literature." Beyond that, it's a matter of taste. Whether you're more interested in 30 Rock or Game of Thrones, Vonnegut or Dickinson, is up to you. Just find people who can talk/write pretty and consume their content.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 PM
CAS

Studying for the credential

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
If your goal is to write or speak better, my recommendation is to read and watch high quality fiction, where wittiness is at more of a premium. Periodicals are also pretty good. Business books and statistical tomes are great for learning the technical side of things, but even the better written things I've read in that universe tend to have stilted writing styles at times. This is no disrespect to business communication at all; people building and maintaining technical knowledge just don't have as much time to hone their craft as professional writers.

Obviously, there is a specific format to business communication that needs to be adhered to, but it's a lot easier to fit into that style if you have more general linguistic tools to start with.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:33 PM
CAS SOA

If you want novelty, and about a billion different stories at the palm of your hand....

Try Fan Fiction. Lots of really good writers on that site.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 PM
SOA

I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if I'm completely redundant to what others have said.

Don't worry about being "elegant." You want to be clear. You want to make your main point VERY early in your communications, so that people don't have to read through a bunch of stuff to figure out what point you're trying to make, or what you need from them.

I think the most challenging part of writing varies from one person to the next. You mentioned you may come off as demanding. There is a way to get what you need, but not appear unreasonably demanding. Some of that, of course, is giving people plenty of lead time. If you can't do that, you may be able to at least know ahead of time when you'll need something, even if you don't have the final details yet. That allows people to schedule around your needs.

One of the best ways to not appear demanding is to do a good job of acknowledging the work that folks have done for you. If you give them recognition, especially in front of leadership, that goes a long way, and makes them more willing to help you out in the future.

One of my things I tell people: make sure your emails aren't "visually intimidating." If somebody opens your email, and they're blown away by the sheer size, then you've lost them already. But if your emails are anything like your posts here, you seem to do a good job getting to the point quickly.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:20 PM
SOA

Elequence is not important.

Being concise is.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:26 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Elequence is not important.

Being concise is.
This is wrong on many levels.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
This is wrong on many levels.
Elaborate.

----

That said, neither is the point.

The point is being able to get your message across. Clarity is the point.

Concision may confuse people if too concise. People may need additional context.

Eloquence is difficult. We can't all be Churchill or Shakespeare. It's a great goal to shoot for, but it's not all that apt for most of the written business communications you need to make.

My main piece of advice is that you need to do a lot of written communication... and then follow up -- with some sort of back and forth. I prefer face-to-face, but will also go to phone call. That said, I have a lot of people I have only text communication with - but I try to make sure that they understood what I was getting at, and I also ask very basic questions to make sure I understand what they're trying to convey.

Text-only communication is difficult, if it's in large chunks with delay in response.

LinkedIn Profile