Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our 2017 Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 07-12-2018, 05:54 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Flynn View Post
You haven't been working very long have you?
About 10 years.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:56 PM
CAS SOA

The reality is that these days the absolute best way to boost your pay is to switch companies.

Boosting your pay inside one company tends to be an exercise in futility in the long run, and rarely ends up with you being better off than if you had gone externally.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Lots of good advice and discussion in this thread, but I feel like OP is just trolling us.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
The reality is that these days the absolute best way to boost your pay is to switch companies.

Boosting your pay inside one company tends to be an exercise in futility in the long run, and rarely ends up with you being better off than if you had gone externally.
This is possibly true for candidates that are at best mediocre, ie. they get to start fresh and their average or poor performance is wiped clean. I do not believe it to be true for those who are the highest performers within a company. I imagine the majority of the high performers aren't stewing around in these forums and are spending all their time continuing to kick ass at their jobs.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:11 AM
SOA

Studying for ILA - Life Pricing
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

Quote:
This is possibly true for candidates that are at best mediocre, ie. they get to start fresh and their average or poor performance is wiped clean. I do not believe it to be true for those who are the highest performers within a company. I imagine the majority of the high performers aren't stewing around in these forums and are spending all their time continuing to kick ass at their jobs.
A top performer doesn't necessarily get hired at a fair salary. After that you have annual raises and promotions, and even then the difference in annual raise for meeting expectations and exceeding expectations may only be 1-2%. Even if a manager may want to give their best performer a 10% raise, there are HR restrictions. In order to earn what one's worth, one needs to have good negotiating skills. It's a lot easier to negotiate while applying for a new job than trying to negotiate a +25% raise at one's current job. Unless you bring a +25% external offer to your manager, your manager doesn't have much ammo to justify a +25% raise compared to your peers when he/she goes to ask HR's approval. Even if the raise is approved, it will put you in a high percentile for your pay level, which in turn will result in lower annual raises.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:18 AM

College: Service Dog Academy

Quote:
discuss it with your manager
If one of my direct reports insinuated that they were not being paid exactly the wage they deserved, I would fire them. Trust is super important, and if they can't trust their employer to get their compensation exactly correct, then they can take their entitlement issues to some other company.
The haze will finally burn off for most of you! Stop drinking the fluoride and watching the brain wash box...
Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
A top performer doesn't necessarily get hired at a fair salary. After that you have annual raises and promotions, and even then the difference in annual raise for meeting expectations and exceeding expectations may only be 1-2%. Even if a manager may want to give their best performer a 10% raise, there are HR restrictions. In order to earn what one's worth, one needs to have good negotiating skills. It's a lot easier to negotiate while applying for a new job than trying to negotiate a +25% raise at one's current job. Unless you bring a +25% external offer to your manager, your manager doesn't have much ammo to justify a +25% raise compared to your peers when he/she goes to ask HR's approval. Even if the raise is approved, it will put you in a high percentile for your pay level, which in turn will result in lower annual raises.
We must just have different experiences, or again the people you assume are "top performers" may not be quite as good as you believe. The top performers I speak of would not get a 25% raise within the same role or moving to the "senior" level of their title. These people usually take on entire new roles, sometimes in other departments outside Actuarial, and gain significantly more responsibility than would be expected under the next rung of the standard actuarial ladder.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwoc View Post
If one of my direct reports insinuated that they were not being paid exactly the wage they deserved, I would fire them. Trust is super important, and if they can't trust their employer to get their compensation exactly correct, then they can take their entitlement issues to some other company.
That is pretty harsh. I could understand feeling that way in the moment, but would you truly pursue employee termination?
Old 07-16-2018, 02:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
That is pretty harsh. I could understand feeling that way in the moment, but would you truly pursue employee termination?

Theres so many things wrong with that mentality.

Anyone with that attitude is probably a bad manager. Anyone who thinks that they could actually fire someone for that reason is probably a dumb manager with 0 emotional intelligence. Additionally, HR would probably need more of a reason than “my subordinate asked for a raise”.

Last edited by Fracktuary; 07-16-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by abwoc View Post

Why exactly would an employee trust their employer to pay them what they deserve? It's an adversarial negotiation.

Or do you just prefer to exclusively manage passive, unambitious, and/or stupid people? Because that would make your life a lot easier, I'll give you that. As long as the stupids don't have totally abysmal work product.