Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Nothing good comes in telling coworkers who you’re not friends with your salary imo. Unnecessary judgement of spending habits, resentment, comparison. And overall, you’re just being a dick.

If you want more, ask for more. If that doesn’t work, switch jobs. Figuring out your cubemate’s salary shouldn’t impact these two fundamentals.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:21 AM
CAS

Is your employer trying to retaliate for your having asked a coworker what he earns?

Despite the strategic benefits of wage transparency, there are a lot of reasons why it's an awkward question. I guess if you asked in a way that upset your co-worker that could be sort of an issue?? But it seems really wrong for employers to restrict that information.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:23 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Is your employer trying to retaliate for your having asked a coworker what he earns?

Despite the strategic benefits of wage transparency, there are a lot of reasons why it's an awkward question. I guess if you asked in a way that upset your co-worker that could be sort of an issue?? But it seems really wrong for employers to restrict that information.
Hasn't been an issue for me so far. But before I engage in these discussions, I try my best to make sure we're all on the same page as to why we're talking about money. It isn't to brag about who has the biggest salary, but it's to gather information about where we stand, and what opportunities may be available.

More information helps. Solid numbers help. We're data-driven professionals, so it should be common knowledge that data do matter. When you know the salary bands of certain positions at certain companies along with the required skill set, you know exactly what to apply for and how much is reasonable to ask for. Glassdoor is helpful. H1b databases are helpful. Being armed with that information is much more effective than guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 07-04-2018 at 02:28 AM..
Old 07-04-2018, 08:37 AM
CAS

Oh, I completely agree that it's helpful information, and we'd probably be better off if it were all published. Still, I grew up in a generation for which it's a taboo. Also, I know i earn less than many of my peers. I've intentionally made decisions that led to that, and I'm comfortable with my income and with my work-life balance (which is better than many of my peers). But I'd just as soon not be reminded of the income side of that.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Pay transparency benefits the rank and file workers. Policies against it are intended to reduce the bargaining power of employees.

Sure, you don't have to answer if you find it uncomfortable. If you ask 10 of your peers what their salaries are, and all 10 of them report a salary 20% higher than yours, there's a good chance you'd be able to increase your own salary by jumping ship or asking for a raise.
Game theory time: If I'm on of the 20 percenters, it's to my advantage NOT to tell my salary.

Alternative view

For as long as I can remember, my dad was a proud member of the machinist's union. Everybody with equal seniority got equal pay. Would this be an ideal situation for actuaries? Everybody with the same number of exams and experience gets paid the same? I don't think that most folks here would like that.

Also, ITA with what PP said.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:57 AM
CAS

If you are twentieth percentile, how would it hurt you if your co-workers learned that?
Old 07-04-2018, 10:11 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
If you are twentieth percentile, how would it hurt you if your co-workers learned that?
At most companies, raises for the worker-bees are a zero-sum game. If my information helps the lower-paid people to get bigger raises, my raise would necessarily be less. Which hurts me if I care about winning the game of "who is paid more?"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:23 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
At most companies, raises for the worker-bees are a zero-sum game. If my information helps the lower-paid people to get bigger raises, my raise would necessarily be less. Which hurts me if I care about winning the game of "who is paid more?"
You are missing the forest from the trees once again.

In the short run you might be better off, but in the long run, the trajectory of your income over time would be lower as the lack of bargaining power would pull aggregate corporate incomes downwards.

This is pretty basic stuff by the way.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:25 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Why are you assuming there is bargaining power? The majority of jobs aren’t rocket science. You can pick anyone out of college for EL actuarial work

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I hope the following link answers your question:

www.google.com

You're welcome
FTFY