Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-09-2018, 10:24 AM
CAS

Unless they specified otherwise (and I assume they didn't, or you wouldn't be asking this question) I would assume that expensing an interview trip would be comparable to expensing a business trip. What is an acceptable level of "service" to expense can, realistically, vary by job grade. So I would expense more frugally for an entry-level interview than for an executive interview.

But I would expect that a modest dinner Sunday night, the Subway/Uber ride from the airport to the hotel, a coffee and a breakfast sandwich day of, and probably a cheap dinner Monday evening, if you can't reasonably be home by then, would all be ordinary expense items.

I think we are only allowed to expense breakfast, lunch, supper, not random snacks, but I'm not sure. Personally, I always pack airport snacks and an empty water bottle to fill after security, so I have never really thought about it.

But I agree with what others said -- so long as you don't ask to be reimbursed for anything extravagant, I doubt they will care much.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Would be interested in hearing more on this. I mostly disagree I think. Presumably, your response is something about minor expenses and expecting the company to take care of everything and the pettiness or entitlement mentality (feel free to clarify, I could be way off). I do think the entitlement mentality is something to pay attention to, especially if you're a young guy interviewing at an old company.
Yes, basically the above. I'm assuming most people interviewing are incurring relatively modest expenses outside the hotel/flight. Submitting expenses for an airport food court meal or a coffee from Starbucks that amounts to $10 or so in my opinion comes off just as you state. In your NYC example, if it truly costs >$50 to and from get the airport each way, then I'd view a candidate submitting that expense very differently compared to a cheap meal or $2.00 subway ride.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Flynn View Post
In your NYC example, if it truly costs >$50 to and from get the airport each way, then I'd view a candidate submitting that expense very differently compared to a cheap meal or $2.00 subway ride.
Honestly, my first thought on this is, if they expense the $2 subway ride and I'm hiring a chief actuary, this is a negative. If I'm hiring an EL analyst, I"m thinking "So, this guy will check to make sure every dollar is accounted for; that's what I want."
Old 07-09-2018, 11:14 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

So is it a negative if you end up at LGA instead of Newark or what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I care more about whether the candidate would do a good job, but maybe that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:17 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Honestly, my first thought on this is, if they expense the $2 subway ride and I'm hiring a chief actuary, this is a negative. If I'm hiring an EL analyst, I"m thinking "So, this guy will check to make sure every dollar is accounted for; that's what I want."
A $2 subway ride is one of those expenses that I personally wouldn't submit. It's reimbursable, so I'd approve it if I were reviewing a report, but I wouldn't want to risk coming across as if I were nickel-and-diming the company.

I agree that a cab fare in a city with good transit access to the airport would be easier to stomach from a mid-to-upper level candidate...but the odds are pretty good that the individual reviewing the expense report probably isn't familiar enough with your home city to know which modes of transport are viable.

Whether it's good or bad to take a mode of transportation that's "beneath" you is debatable depending on your style and the company's. I take mass transit when it's the best option, because I'm practical. Most of my bosses and bosses' bosses have been the same way. (Hell, my first ride on the NYC Subway was when I was accompanying a chief actuary on an office visit!) But if the company expected me to take "better" transportation in such circumstances...well, the culture might not be the best fit.

Basically, if you make the same kinds of decisions as you would if spending your own money, and you make your expense report as unmemorable as possible (without stressing over it), an interviewee will be OK.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:19 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
I care more about whether the candidate would do a good job, but maybe that's me.

That is crazy talk.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
Basically, if you make the same kinds of decisions as you would if spending your own money, and you make your expense report as unmemorable as possible (without stressing over it), an interviewee will be OK.
+1

I rarely expense small ticket items. And for me on a one-off trip that includes meals (although I am aware this is more unusual) as I tend to eat out relatively cheaply. I would have to eat even if at home, so claiming 100% of meal costs would mean a "profit" - and that just seems wrong.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Flynn View Post
In your NYC example, if it truly costs >$50 to and from get the airport each way, then I'd view a candidate submitting that expense very differently compared to a cheap meal or $2.00 subway ride.
Can you elaborate on this?

I expect all interviewees to be taking cabs. Interviewing is already stressful enough and I'd expect them to take the mode of transportation most comfortable to them while still being reasonable (for me that almost always means cab/uber, though it may be different for others). I generally don't fancy lugging a suitcase in an out of subway stations (which usually involves lots of stairs), transferring to different lines, and then still have to take the airport train to get to the terminal. I've done that before for personal trips, but if I'm interviewing the next morning I'd prefer a peace of mind.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

I figure a company in NYC would provide car service for some Po' candidate who may not know the A train from The Acelo.

Heck, I got car service at my last interview, in Texas, from airport to hotel, from hotel to job site, and from job site back to airport.