Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 07-09-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin-Lover View Post
Can you elaborate on this?

I expect all interviewees to be taking cabs. Interviewing is already stressful enough and I'd expect them to take the mode of transportation most comfortable to them while still being reasonable (for me that almost always means cab/uber, though it may be different for others). I generally don't fancy lugging a suitcase in an out of subway stations (which usually involves lots of stairs), transferring to different lines, and then still have to take the airport train to get to the terminal. I've done that before for personal trips, but if I'm interviewing the next morning I'd prefer a peace of mind.
I was more commenting on the monetary value, not the method of transportation. If it costs over $100 to get to/from the airport by taxi, I'd view that submission much differently compared to a $10 Uber ride in smaller/cheaper cities.

I agree the candidate should use the mode most comfortable for them. In some cities, I feel that should be public transportation. NYC is not in this category.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:32 PM
SOA AAA

Differently in what way? Bad, good, Judgy McJudgeface, scorn, impressed?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:07 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Flynn View Post
I was more commenting on the monetary value, not the method of transportation. If it costs over $100 to get to/from the airport by taxi, I'd view that submission much differently compared to a $10 Uber ride in smaller/cheaper cities.

I agree the candidate should use the mode most comfortable for them. In some cities, I feel that should be public transportation. NYC is not in this category.
Yeah, public transit is awkward and non-obvious from the airports to anyplace useful in NYC. But in DC, Philly, Seattle ... it's an easy and well-advertised way to get out of the airport. With the added bonus that you don't have to worry about the traffic.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:16 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Japanese
College: B.S. Applied Math
Favorite beer: La Croix Grapefruit

So much over-analysis. How 'bout a TL;DR.

Ask the HR person what the reimbursement protocol is. Expect to expense meals and (personal, not public) transportation within the destination city. Forget about menial expenses. Keep receipts. Eat somewhere moderately-priced (one entree at the hotel restaurant can't be argued with). Only soft drinks. Tip 15-20% and write it down. One expense per meal.

Obviously any instructions provided take priority.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:43 AM
SOA

Simply email whoever scheduled the interview or/and flight the question that what expenses are covered for this interview, meals, taxi or rental car, drinks and snacks?

They probably will reply to you whether they cover all or some of these expenses. Do not send them all expense receipts until they tell you what are covered.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 AM
SOA

Here's what I put through. I think this was a mistake, although the gss station peanuts were my dinner on the way to the airport.

Mileage 275 miles driven
Tolls($8)

Dinner after interview($25)
Economy Plus upgrade on the way home($99)
Parking at airport($57)
Snacks on the way home($7)
Ubers($31)
Dinner/peanuts on the way there ($7)
Starbucks at the airport , right before, and right after the interview($12, $5, and $6)

I did drive 2 hours straight from work to get them a much cheaper flight(~$700) for me out of O'Hare so I feel like they should all be covered, except possibly for the Economy Plus upgrade to get out of a middle seat. Still haven't been paid like 6 weeks later since it's a recruiter doing the expenses...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:53 AM
SOA

I have not seen a company pays both mileage and flight tickets for the same interview, but you might have an exception for saving them money. Did you ask them whether they will reimburse you for Economy Plus before you book it? Typically they will book the ticket for you, so there will be no extra fees paid for the ticket.

But few companies will ask candidates to pay for the ticket in advance in case candidates do not show up in the scheduled interview, but candidates get reimbursed later on. What situation did you have?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
Here's what I put through. I think this was a mistake, although the gss station peanuts were my dinner on the way to the airport.

Mileage 275 miles driven
Tolls($8)

Dinner after interview($25)
Economy Plus upgrade on the way home($99)
Parking at airport($57)
Snacks on the way home($7)
Ubers($31)
Dinner/peanuts on the way there ($7)
Starbucks at the airport , right before, and right after the interview($12, $5, and $6)

I did drive 2 hours straight from work to get them a much cheaper flight(~$700) for me out of O'Hare so I feel like they should all be covered, except possibly for the Economy Plus upgrade to get out of a middle seat. Still haven't been paid like 6 weeks later since it's a recruiter doing the expenses...

I would have just taken the more expensive flight and skipped all that nonsense. Your time is probably more valuable than their money.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
I have not seen a company pays both mileage and flight tickets for the same interview, but you might have an exception for saving them money. Did you ask them whether they will reimburse you for Economy Plus before you book it? Typically they will book the ticket for you, so there will be no extra fees paid for the ticket.

But few companies will ask candidates to pay for the ticket in advance in case candidates do not show up in the scheduled interview, but candidates get reimbursed later on. What situation did you have?
I always expense mileage (to my local airport) and a flight. I don't live in a place where it makes sense to drive farther to get a cheaper flight, but I don't think that would be an issue if that's the sort of place you live.

My employer doesn't pay for economy plus for us rank-and-file types. I wouldn't have expensed that. But I doubt it's a big deal.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I generally expense things that I wouldn't otherwise spend if I weren't traveling.

A $10 lunch just because I happen to be in a different city? Nah, but if I landed at midnight and had to get something to eat, then yeah. All transportation fees and gym day passes that cost extra because I can't use my regular membership are expensed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.